V6 running cold - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 04-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon
V6 running cold

Hi folks.
A little while back I noticed that my car was not getting up to temperature and the fuel consumption was quite bad. So, I thought that the two things would be caused by one problem, namely the thermostat.

I bought a replacement stat and swapped it over.

No difference.

I still had the old stat so I had a look at it.

If I blew down the hose connecter air would leek passed the stat itself.

So I took the unit apart and lapped the moving part into the body (just like you would with a valve into a cylinder head). Then, when I blew (or sucked) down it no air leeked passed. When I tested this stat in a bowl of water, the stat opened when the water was heated to about 90 degrees and closed asthe water cooled.

But, when I refitted it to the car the temperature gauge would go up to about 80 or 85 when I was sitting in traffic on a warm day, or about 70 when driving along, which was only slightly better than before.

The fans seem to cut in and out as they should.

I am know wondering if it is the sender unit.

The onboard computer reports that I am getting an average of 13.5 mpg. I am only using the car for work at the moment so my journeys are very regular.Work is 9 miles away from home, the route consists of 3 miles of clear, sweeping B roads (40 to 50 mph), 5 miles of dual carriageway (70 to 80 mph) followed by 1 mile of city driving. In the evenings it is simply a reversal of that.

I worked out the mpg over two tank fulls and it comes out a little different, but it is still only 14/15.

The consumption hasn't changed even though this stat is marginaly better than the other one.

I performed the ecu reset, mentioned in another post on this forum, and the car appears to be running fine, there is no petrol smells and the exhaust doesn't smell rich.

If anyone has any ideas on either problem I wouldlike to hear them.

My car is a 156SW 2.5 v6 with an auto box on a '52 plate, with 68000 miles and a full dealer history and no mods.

Many thanks, Mick.

if things don't change they will stay as they are.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 4 Old 05-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Have I posted this in the wrong place?
AO Member
County: Auckland
nope, seems know one knows.............. have a similar Q, cold running v6....
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 05-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Hi Craig.

After a little investigation and after using the very useful "FiatEcuScan" I decided that my engine temp is not as far off as the gauge is telling me. The ecu actually sees 90 when the gauge shows 80, so it looks like I have an inaccurate gauge (not uncommon it seems).

My fuel consumption is still bad, my son has a 500bhp Mazda RX7 which is cheaper to run than my 156. Surely thats not right. I think mine is a better everyday car though.

All the best, Mick.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cold , running