156 TS, Irratic idle - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 23-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Anglesey

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

156 TS, Irratic idle

After many nights reading other threads and trying other peoples ideas I have finally found (and cured) the problem. As far as I know no one else has mentioned it before. Fiat ECU scan kept telling me that lambda was cold/bottom limit and yes the plugs were sooty, so no lies there then.
I changed out the.......
Spark Plugs (NGK)
Coilpacks (Bosch)
MAF (Bosch)
Thermostat housing (FK)
Temp Sender (Alfa)
Throttle Body (Alfa)
Idle Control Actuator (Bosch)
Lambda Sensor (Bosch)
Oil & filters (Mobil 1/Fram)
Timing & Balance Belts (Gates)
Water Pump (FK)
Variator (ALFA)
And many ECU & Actuator resets....Nothing, Nowt, Nada, Nichts. Only the Variator had any distinct effect on the actual sound of the engine i.e. no longer sounds like I would be asking passengers for a Fare.
So check all the hoses, inlet etc.... Still nothing.
I could hear (now that the Variator was quiet) a slight metalic crackling noise on the exhaust manifold No1 area, so squirted water on it....The venturi action sucked in the water and pruduced rain clouds from the back of the car. Thank **** for that, off with the manifold, clean up new gaskets and ....no.....still rain clouds when water applied. So off again with the intention to use exhaust goo to help seal the new gaskets. Before that I thought about the manifold/welding, so using turps or other fine oil, apllied it to the pipe work then looked inside and hey presto it leaks through on all cylinders. Now TIG welded on the outer plate area and reassembled it's PERFECT. Lambda reads as it should, plugs are normal tick over/idle spot on. How many other Alfa's out there are going to be the same ? and going through a lot of go juice and failing emmisions being sold lambda's and CAT's they don't need ?
Now my only prob is overheating, trying to start again after a 15 min run feels like the engine is stuck solid, let it cool and away ya go. any one got any ideas on that ??????

One day it will live again, or maybe not, who knows ?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Utrecht

Member car:

156 sillyspeed

fail to turn over when it's hot is usually related to the starter motor/bendex getting stuck when hot.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , idle , irratic , lambda , maf , manifold