Buying a 147, give me the low down ! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 21-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Buying a 147, give me the low down !

Well Its been a while since I asked but Im thinking of getting a new (used) car with a budget of 7K. That would get me a nice 2007 147.
I like auto's for daily driver's but the selespeed thing is just to much risk so its going to be a manual.
The common models are 1.6 petrol or deisels- Ive never had a deisel so whats the thoughts on whats best for a small family car for general driving around ? I'd do about 5K milage per year in it (ive got a second car, an old Audi ragtop, but thats another story)
Heres the thing, I always wanted a 4x4 just to say Id had one, not that I need it (who really does?) but the cost of fuel has given me second thoughts and brought me back to a small car. The wife has a big diesel Estate for full family duties.
Now never had a Alfa but love the look of them, but Ive had a Ducati ST2 for many years and love it, but for some unknown reason I get nerve's when thinking of buying an Alfa. Its all those horror stories you hear, much like the Duc's that are sometimes overblown. Not that having an Italian is like owning a "run of the mill" machine, and I appreciate it would need a little extra tlc which is ok as Im a bit of a petrolhead
Im kinda handy with the spanners, have a good back street spanner man I use plus Alfa-Aid independant is just up the road from me and SGT main dealer nearby.
My research so far says history is very importand (as for any car) but the Alfa likes to use a bit of oil so it needs regular checking. Cambelts on time are a must. Anything else I should be aware of apart from the usual checks to do before buying any used car?
Convince me I'll never look back if I get one
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Mk 2 Focus RS

I had a 1.6 147 as my 1st alfa. Had it 2 years then done the only sensible thing & got a 147 GTA 6 months ago. I wont lie & say its been trouble free because it hasnt. The 1.6 was a Y reg & people would still look at it & 1 person did ask me if it really was a Y reg car go for it, people say they are unreliable but all you need to do is keep on top of the maintence side like checking oil level etc & you should have a car to be proud of

Driving fast got me into trouble, driving faster got me out of it

LJ's Youtube Channel

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , buying , give , low