147 1.6ts overheats smoke from water coolant tank - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 20-04-11 Thread Starter
County: Greater London
147 1.6ts overheats smoke from water coolant tank

im new to this, but i badly need help fell in love with the alfa 147 looks despite everyone telling me not to buy it because they apparently are not reliable,
i passed my test and bought a 147 1.6 turismo black tan leather beautiful, first few month fine,

then problems start happening left right centre, oil leaking constant filling up the oil, then water leakage problem got that fix new pipe needed, then the central locking started when i press open it locks the doors so i have to use the key to open then press open to lock the car then press lock for the alarm to come on.
engine coolant temp after a mile or two goes straight up it overheats then start to smoke from the water coolant tank there's black stuff in the water coolant tank looks like oil, there's creamy looking stuff on the oil cap.
took to the garage family friend, he just simply said head gasket too much pressure water in the oil, get rid of it scrap it . don't ever buy an alfa again .

the thing is i love them always did my father had one don't remember him going through all this or maybe i just had bad luck.

should i listen to the garage man or try scrap, anyone had similar problem and fix theirs is it fine now. or is it something ill have to deal with if i buy another alfa .

51 plate 1,6 turismo
114,000 mile
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Does sound like head gasket to be honest. All depends how much you've got / want to spend on it really...

I wouldn't scrap it though - either sell it for spares/repairs or sell the interior etc before saying goodbye to the bodyshell.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 16ts , coolant , headgasket , overheating , overheats , smoke , smokin , tank , water , water or coolant