Doing my own work - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 18-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent
Doing my own work

Ok prob going to be a stupid thread but hey here goes!!

I want to do as much work to my car as I can - i.e oil, filter change, any suspension problems. I know cambelt etc is a bit more specailist and prob beyond me anyway!! for 2 reasons -

1. I havent got a lot of money BUT I love my little alfa and want to look after her and its cheaper if I can do it myself

2. I want to learn how to do all this stuff, I am sure it will come in handy for many years to come

What I am after if possible is as many guides as possible on what people can do themselves. (I dont have any experience BUT am a quick learner)

"Necessity is the mother of invention."
Sponsored Links
AO Member
There are a few how-to's on the forum, covering various jobs. However it depends on how practicale you are, I would also say it depends on your confidence at tackling these jobs.

You will need a reasonable set of tools as well, spanners/socket set etc etc. If you have never tackled any jobs like these before, maybe you have a mechanic friend who can show you the ropes and shadow you through a couple of jobs.

Be cautious doing a job incorrectly or damaging something with the incorrect tool will cost you more than paying an indepandent garage to do the job in the first place. The last thing you want is to hurt yourself or anyone else because of something you did through ignorance or lack of experience.

Good Luck

(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 18-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
dnicosia -

You read my mind!! I am going to get a mechanic friend to help me help first and go from there, I have done brake pads/discs before on my old fiat, pretty straight forward jobs. Its the suspension parts and other stuff I am unsure about
AO Member
County: Greater London
You will love learning about your Alfa, my other cars were dealer serviced but not my 147, I absolutely enjoy getting involved with it.

Changed the oil and filter yesterday, cleaned the plugs the other day, replaced the front grill, sorted an airbag light issue, fixed an abs warning problem, fitted a new thermostat, sorted an incredibly stiff gear stick by changing the bushes all solely due to the excellent advice here at AO.

I must have saved a fortune already.

Next: droplinks and rear shocks.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

There's a few How-to's on my web site .. might give you an idea of a few jobs like brakes, suspension, etc.

Link in my signature area below ...

I learnt way-back-when by going to night-classes and looking after my Grandad's old sit-up & beg Ford Popular!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT