Clunking when steering - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 18-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Armagh
Clunking when steering

I have searched thoroughly on the forum but to no avail.
Basically I had the typical upper wishbone creak of death with my GT (after only 32k miles!) and took into replacing them myself. Job was a bit of a pain, with the suspension mounts in particular proving to be highly problematic to remove from the top of the struts.
All was completed in due time, however, with 2 new droplinks fitted at the same time (yes, both had to be CUT off - complete nightmare but I got there in the end with a Dremel and the promise of a McDonalds after completion). When I took for a drive I noticed a slight knocking in the steering when moving from left to right (or vice-versa). Best description I could give is like a spring being wound and then releasing all in one go (having checked the springs I can report that they are firmly seated in the struts).
The noise occurs the majority of times when parking, but also when steering sharply when travelling. Have examined and re-examined my work countless times but cannot seem to source the origin of the noise.

Has anyone any ideas?
many thanks

p.s. the droplinks, lower wishbones and everything that I replaced are as tight as physically possible.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 412
County: East Ayrshire
Track rod ends ?? Power steering fluid level ? check them both
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 24-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Armagh
Just by way of update for those who may stumble upon this thread in the future. I stripped out the top wishbones again, disconnected struts and completely lubricated all parts. I noticed that the top mounts for the struts may not have been a tight even fit with the struts/chassis so lubricated these and fitted them tightly. As a result the noise has gone!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

clunking , steering