Replacing glow plugs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 18-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng

Member car:

Replacing glow plugs

Hi everyone

I have noticed lately that my 06 GT 1.9jtd is taking abit longer to start now that winter is approaching. I have to switch on the ignition twice to double heat the glow plugs before it will easily start. I've read good replacement plugs is NGK y534J. I would like to know, the BMW's and Land Rovers can start without waiting for the glow plugs. You just turn the ignition and it starts. They have some special super quick heating glow plugs. NGK the code is y547AS. My question is, is it possible to fit the BMW plugs and will I be able to have quicker cold starts or will the normal Alfa plugs start just as quick?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
I can't exactly say with all certainty but I would suspect that in order to heat up super quick they have to be able to draw more current to heat the element faster, which if they are factory fit it something the wiring loom is able to handle, where as the loom on the GTs etc may not be upto the extra current draw / load these may want.

I have a 156 1.9 JTD M-Jet and had it serviced with new glow plugs back in december and the plugs heat up very quickly anyway it doesn't take much, I think you will likely be suprised at the difference new plugs make.
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

147 jtd 8v

I have a 147 with 1.9 jtd engine and I start it like I used to start my petrol, it's never struggled to start, I bet a new set of plugs would make alot of difference !

AO Member
County: Utrecht

Member car:

156 sillyspeed

even with faulty plugs a JTD should be able to start normally with semi-cold weather. as long as the battery can hold enough grunt to get the starter up to a proper speed and the HPpump can deliver 300 bar it shoud start like normal.

if it starts to get difficult to start you can first try getting another car hooked up to the battery with running engine (and high idle for more power) and try doing a cold start then. if it starts good you know the battery is dying on you. if it is: get the most powerful one you can get fitted in the box. more power = better.
if it does not start better you need to check if the HPpump gets 300 bar startpressiure, if it does not or takes too long to get 300 bar it refuses to start. that might be the sign that injectors start to fail/leak or that the gasket inside the HPpump is broken. (cheap fix)

i usually recommend against replacing plugs as they thed to be VERY stuck and if they break while being removed by some farmer-mechanic it will require a new head on the block. VERY expensive.

Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
I bet your winters are warmer than our summers.

I was over there in October, and it was scorchio!
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 28-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng

Member car:

Hello me again

I have the biggest battery I could fit, a 654, the volts and amps seem to be fine as I replaced the battery November 2010. Volts was 12.7 when the car was switched off. Fiat ecu scan claims the HP pump to be fine. On normal days or even after the first cold start the car starts very easily. I have noticed on the car's first cold start of the day if you switch the ignition on wait for the glow plug light to go off, switch the car off and on again and wait again for the light then the car starts super quick. So its just a bad case of slow heating plugs. What plugs should I buy? Some websites recommend NGK y534j and other YE07? some say Genesis?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

glow , plugs , replacing