Calling alfisti for advice and help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 06-08-04 Thread Starter
Hmmm Calling alfisti for advice and help

Today I damaged my front bumber due to foolish persistence. I was trying to align LH side bumber with the wing (it was offset since day one 1 year ago). I stratched the paint with the screwdriver and trying to fix it I also damaged the glossy top coat in a bigger area. It looks like !!!! now. I went to the local bodyshop and he suggested a respray either as a spot repair or having the wole bumber painted.
My bella is an ALFA 156 2003 (OLD STYLE NOSE) with DUPONT 694 GRIZZIO STERLING.

Now could you please advise by experience:

1. Do you think 694 can be matched, provided that the bodyshop uses SIKKENS and not DUPONT paints? (694 has two colour codes in dupont kataloques, whereas sikkens has one).

2. Without considering money, what should I choose a spot repair or a whole respray? (silvers sometimes show spray edges when spot sprayed).

3. Is the black grill in the bootom of the bumber easily removable or they will destroy retaining clips and then glue it in place?

4. Are front bumber water jets removable?

5. Finally do yoy think that it is worth the effort or I will get a worst result (colour mismatches, damages to adjacent parts, etc)

Thank you for your patience, any advice will be highly appreciated
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 & WRX PPP

Re: Calling alfisti for advice and help

1. I'm not a paint expert, but I believe that painting the bumper requires slightly different paint (or shade) than painting metal. That may require the paint to be mixed in the first place. I've had my car resprayed with other brand of paint (bumper and hood), and it matches fine after two attempts. It's a silver paint from 2000 model.

2. Depending on skills of the repair shop. Here in Bangkok, I've tried a spot repair once since I didn't want to do a whole panel. It costs about the same. The only plus side is that you won't have to take the risk of having an 'off' color panel.

3. If my memory serves, it is removable and the clips can be re-used.

5. Depending on how big the damage is, and on you, the owner, actually.

//2000 156 2.0TS / AD Remap / Supersprint Exhaust / K&N Filter Kit / Rhoddy Harvey-Bailey Suspension / AR Strut bar /16" Telephone dials + Yokohama V550 / Tar-Ox discs + SS lines + MQ pads //

//2005 Subaru Impreza WRX PPP / K&N Short Ram-air Intake / Brembo 4-pot Brake Kits / Prodrive GC-010 British Black 18x7.5 Forged Alloys / Michelin Pilot Sport Cup / Prodrive Spring Kit / STi Aero kit //
Re: Calling alfisti for advice and help

4. The water jets are removable, I had my bumper resprayed some time ago. I'm glad your car isn't Alfa red, I had THREE attempts to colour-match mine, at the last attempt, the man from ICI paints division borrowed my petrol cap to mix up a batch specially for me after they analysed the colour with a computerised spectrometer!! And they had 10 shades of Alfa red to choose from in the 1st place! Good luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , alfisti , calling