Timpsons to do Alfa key coding - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 13-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Timpsons to do Alfa key coding

Please let me know if this is old news, but I just happened to see a Timpsons at my local Sainsbury's this evening, and after reading so many threads about the Alfa key code, I stopped by and asked about my key. The guy put it in his reader and said that they are to get an update to do these soon. They will need the car in the car park to code it, and it will unlock the car and start it. However, it will not have the remote central locking function. It will cost 95. From what his PC was saying it sounds like this is to happen quite soon.

My key is on a 156 1.8 TS 2001, Euro 3 I believe, the black flip out one with boot and door remote locking which I have always read can not be copied except by Alfa at well over 200.

Worth checking out if you need one.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

It might be new to timpsons but it is old news for lock smiths. I got my key, open and starts a while ago for 80.
AO Member
County: Durham

Member car:

Timpsons have always been able to copy most immobiliser transponders on to new keycuts. Beauty of it is you get a fresh keycut that doesn't need programming to your car

Had them done on phase 1 Fiat CODE keys (the red key setup) using the blue key as a copy (25 iirc), Peugeot keys (pre 1999MY), and Vauxhall keys (pre 2000MY).

They keep adding new transponder setups to their range, so it's always worth a look in just incase they can copy your transponder key and save you a fortune. Never had one fail either, so they get my thumbs up. I was confused to see they do the Renault PlipCards too (for laguna, espace etc), thinking "How do you cut one of them?" then realized they have an emergency key blade inside them LOL

Current Garage
03 Fiat Punto 1.2 Active, 2003 Vauxhall Vectra SRI 2.2 DTi
Only works for the later code three cars, the code two cars can be done but the process is quite different. As long as the key is copied to a TPX3 chip it can be placed into a new or second hand remote which can then be programmed as normal but the copied key shouldnt be cycled with the original key as the code on it is an exact copy of an existing key and will confuse the system.
Personally i would give timpsons a miss as a lot of their staff really dont have the knowledge on the subject they should have. Apart from which you'll normally get a better price from an independant i charge around 50 and i know others charge a similar amount. Heres a link to a video of this type of chip being cloned on a Zed-Bull YouTube - Cloning ID 46 to TPX3 by Zed-BULL

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , coding , key , timpsons