Motor control system failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 08-04-11 Thread Starter
County: Angus
Motor control system failure

I have recently bought a 147 lusso from a used car dealer and within 24 hours of owning the car this light came on.It went off after 20 or so miles. The dealer took the car back and said he had tested it with diagnostics and nothing showed up. Driving the car back the light was on again after ten minutes of driving it and now won`t go off. Dealer is refusing to have anything to do with the car so i am basically wondering if this is likely to be a major fault or maybe just an electrical one.Is it worth taking it to another garage for diagnostics in case the guy perhaps didn`t check it. I would be grateful of any advice as for once i thought i`d bought myself a car i`ve been wishing for for years and now i`m disillusioned
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
you can buy your own simple plug in machine from ebay for 45 quid which will be a help in the long run because it can tell you most engine faults and reset them.The guy in the garage was unreasonable because a fault would have been stored if he had diagnosed the car.Plenty of garages can tell you the problem with a simple diag machine you probably dont need main dealer equipment at this stage.If you bought it from a garage they cant simply tell yuo to bug88r off.One thing to remember is the fault may be trivial.
You dont say what age your car is or whether its petrol or diesel ?

In any event you should be covered by law if that car was not fit for sale - maybe get in touch with Citizens Advice and Trading Standards.

If you have access to a laptop and are happy to do a bit to your own car I'b buy a cable off ebay
and download the free version of FiatEcuScan
FiatECUScan - Fiat, Alfa, Lancia ECU Reader / Scanner

If you are not happy with doing that then there is an indie with a good rep in Dundee although I havent used them myself

Again though it could be something simple li

Welcome - CP Garage Services | Dundee

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

control , failure , motor , system