Screeching under accell when cold - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 03-08-04 Thread Starter
AO Member
Screeching under accell when cold

I have a 156 2.0 TS (2001 reg) with 21k miles. The feels perfectly okay, when it is cold I hear a slight screeching sound while accellerating through low revs (e.g. pulling away).

Once the car is warm this goes away completely. It sounds like a belt problem of some kind.

When the car is warm the only noticable sound that isn't a pure engine sound is a whistling that increases in pitch with engine revs, this isn't very loud and is only noticable with the window open. (the whistling reminds me of the sound of the turbo charger kicking in in my old Saab). Is this a normal thing on ******?

Does anybody know what kind of problem this might be or anything obvious I should look at here?

This car is new (3 weeks) to me but has a good service history and all feels very tight and good (good engine sounds, clean exhaust, no notable oil consumption as yet, clean oil). I'm loving the car I just don't want to ignore a potential problem and have the result be major damage and big to fix.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -
Re: Screeching under accell when cold

I think that's just the fan belt slipping. It can probably be tightened or replaced for just a few pounds.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

accell , cold , screeching