Rear brake caliper mystery? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 05-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Rear brake caliper mystery?

Got a weird problem with the rear offside brake unit on my 2002, 156.
I replaced both sets of discs and pads a couple of years ago as per norm, then whilst I was driving the car maybe 12 months later started to get the dreaded squeeling noise coming from the rear.
On inspection of the rear brake discs/pads the nearside was low and the disc fine, however the offside was nearly down to the metal with the innerside of the disc slightly scoured.
I duly replaced the pads only as I did not have the time and money at the time to replace the discs as well.(also serviced both calipers).
I have since checked the pads for wear as the squeeling noise is still present to find that the nearside is still ok with plenty of meat left on it whilst the offside has worn twice as much.
Initially thinking that the problem lay with the caliper with it possibly sticking on, I had it replaced with a 2nd hand unit, I got the technician to look at the wheel station before he changed it and he said the wheel spun freely and so the caliper in his opinion did not need replacing, for peace of mind I got him to replace it anyway.
The squeeling has returned with further excessive wear on the offside pads?
Am I missing something?
The only other thing I can think of, is if there is some sort of apportioning valve in-line with the brake line to the offside rear wheel station that is playing up?
Hope there is some guru out there that can shine some light on this weird problem.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
It could be a sticky handbrake cable. They are not the best feature of an Alfa
AO Member
County: -
I would of said handbrake cable too, but they usually both split and corrode.

One would have to be much worse than the other but its possible.
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
Last time I had a squealing from the rear wheels that I couldn't trace it turned out to be some crud stuck between the ABS ring and the sensor. However that would have no effect whatsoever on brake pad wear.

Only things I can think of for starters are checking the disc run-out and giving them a good bleed, assuming the pads aren't sticking
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

How does the car feel when braking very hard, does it pull to one side? Also is one side generating more heat than the other, if you put your hand carefully on the rear wheels, after a short journey, can you feel any difference in temperature?
AO Member
County: Merseyside
My guess would be a sticking calliper.
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Never heard of a car pulling to one side due to a rear brake problem :-)
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 06-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Thanks for the replies!
"one double six" & "stibbs" suggestion is my next check!
pascs, the car seems fine on braking-no pulling to one side, however, the wheel station in question does generate a lot more heat than the opposite wheel station.
Craig G-I have had someone to replace the caliper so I hope it is not another duff unit that I have had fitted!
I will hopefully get on with further checks this weekend, weather permitting!
I`ll let you know of the outcome either way.

AO Member
County: Tyrone
I'm having the same problem at the minute, squealing noise and one of the hubs is getting quite warm. However, when driving and I turn quickly in one direction, the squealing stops, which kindof suggests the wheel bearing, but it isn't making any rumbling or whirring noise. Also when braking the noise stops. I jacked up the car and can just about spin the wheel around one rotation before it stops, so the caliper is sticking a little bit. I must check it isn't the handbrake cable holding slightly.
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
I had the dreaded squeel on my last car and it was the handbreak part not going back after you let it off, mind you I only noticed after I saw the monkey at ATS winding in the caliper with a pipe wrench on the piston! when the noise was still there I changed the caliper and all was well.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brake , caliper , mystery , rear