Hi. I got a bit carried away on ebay recently and bought a 2000W 2.4JTD Saloon with 142k on the clock. I have a few general questions which i would like help/advice with if possible? I have never driven a 156 before so some of the things i have noticed may be normal.
The car is in reasonable condition, slight dent to rear wing with small patch of rust showing under arch so i will sort that out asap. The interior is fine, lovely black leather. Very smart. The car has some service history and the previous owner states he changed the cambelt, water pump and tensioner at 125k but he has no proof as can't find the paperwork. He states he has changed the oil every 6 or 7k and there are stamps up to 119k in the service book. It is standard and not remapped. The car drives well. Odd noise from suspension but nothing too noticeable.
My questions are:-
1. The handbook, service book and stereo guide are all in German! Does this mean the car is an import? I wouldn't think this would cause any problems though?
2. My wife followed me back in her car and she said that it blows some smoke out of the back when i accelerate. I didn't notice so not a huge cloud but certainly a bit. Should i be worried? Could this be engin wear or normal for high miler?
3. The brakes work well but the pedal is quite squashy.
4. The accelerator pedal has limited travel and seems to have a stiffness at the end of it's travel. You have to push hard to get full power.
5. The previous owner changed a wishbone. He said he thinks it will need the tracking sorted and there is a vibration at 70ish. Do others agree?
6. The reg no is W614 UMO. Is there any way of telling what model it is? I have not had the V5 back so maybe that will tell me?
7. The engine sounds great but a bit 'whooshy'. Is this normal or may i have some kind of air leak? It certainly feels powerful and much more like a petrol engine than the 1.9TDi Audi i also have. That runs out of steam at 2.5k but this keeps going to 4k, lovely!
Thanks again. Just got the insurance transferred over so off for a drive.