Help ! Temperature Gauge funny readings - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-04-11 Thread Starter
County: Suffolk

Member car:

156 1.8 TS

Wave Help ! Temperature Gauge funny readings

Dear All,

Hope that someone can help, went to go out today as the kids and the wife wanted to go to Sunny Hunstanton for mothers day. Got about 5 miles from home and the temperature gauge shot up the faster you i went.

The light came on to say its overheating so quickly pulled over, popped the bonnet and checked only to find the header tank was at the correct level but was cold with the fan running.

The gauge then went back to normal, and all appeared well, so off we went again, only for it to happen, the faster i went the higher the gauge went, the slower i went the gauge would return to normal, so i drove slowly home and picked the wifes lil run about and off to Sunny Hunny we went.

Got home tonight, checked the level, appeared ok so i run the car up to temperature and the gauge crept up slowly and the fan cut in, beautiful warm air throught the vents, both hoses hot so it seemed like it was circulating ok.

Thought i would go for a run, so drove through town to the main road and blasted it down the main road, at over 80 gauge read 3/4 and kept moving up and down but never put the light on.

I think either the Thermostat is acting up or the water pump has had it, any ideas as i have not had this for 5 mins and this is the 2nd fault, first wipers now this, slowly loosing patience with this or is it just me .

Help please, give me some idea, if it is the pump does it run off the Aux belt or the cambelt.

Help me please

Spilled Dwarf
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Symptoms sound like water pump, but don't take that as gospel.
AO Member
County: Worcestershire
Have a search for the thermostat thread about how to test it... may need a new thermostat... people say you can hear the water pump when its on the way out... and im sure you would get some kind of error on the dash...

When was the last cambelt change? and was the water pump done at the same time???

Its mentioned in the thermostat thread about the heat going up while you excelerate... Are oil levels ok and is there the right 50/50 water/coolant mix in the tank??
AO Silver Member
County: Bangkok
Am I right to say there are 2 temp sensors? One for the temp gauge (coolant temp) and another for the engine oil that triggers the red warning light. So need to check that oil temp sensor as well as the oil level/quality.

If you feel the red light is triggered while the coolant temp gauge acts strangely, I would observe the pump performance by removing the pipe that feeds water back to the coolant tank. Start the engine and observe the rate of flow.

Last edited by Loknar; 04-04-11 at 02:48.
County: West Sussex
Temperature gauge

Sounds like the coolant temperature sensor needs replacing if the coolant was warm but the gauge read very hot. The ecu may be getting what it thinks is a correct reading and switching the fan on and as the sensor is a double feed it would of course cause your gauge to read hot or cause it to fluctuate too

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

funny , gauge , readings , temperature