156 2.4JTD 20V - 5000m update - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Brian Thompson
156 2.4JTD 20V - 5000m update

Have done 5000 miles now since taking delivery of my sportwagon in Feb and here is the latest update :-

Engine and gearbox

Engine has loosened up slightly and a recent trip to Power Engineering's rolling road in Uxbridge revealed some pleasant results:-

Peak power recorded of 178 BHP at 3850 rpm and
Monster torque of 307 Lb Ft at 2400 RPM

Yep, the figures are mind blowing and above what the factory state as standard which surprised me as some manufacturers do over claim the power/torque figures. Torque is just amazing !!

The guys at power engineering were very impressed too. Not only did they love the look of my red wagon with the 17inch spoked alloy option, they also were surprised at just how much grunt the 2.4 litre lump put out.

MPG - the computer says that since taking delivery I am averaging 38.7mpg, which based on the way I drive the car is bloody impressive !!!!

The gearbox has also loosened up and a niggle I had at 1000 miles has disappeared - I was experiencing a sticky lever getting into first and then from second to third sometimes when hot or cold. This has gone away completely now.

Chassis and electrics

No problems here apart from a problem with the e/w lock for the rear n/s electric window which packed up and was replaced under warranty by Sidlow's a few months ago. It was a simple module which had developed a fault and was simple to replace albeit that the part took three weeks to come from Italy.

The interior is fine and no squeeks rattles or other gremilins - touch wood.

Tyres etc are fine although the 17inchers tramline a little and ride a little harsh. There is limited wear on the fronts and I have kept a careful watch on them for inside edge wear.

Summary at 5000 miles

Am as pleased as punch with the car - goes like stink and with almost 40mpg. Looks great and is a real head turner on the 17 inchers. Five pot 24v sounds evil when on boost and flying. Most parts of the car holding together well at this stage and no nightmares to report - so far.

Only negative thing I would say is the build quality is still not quite up there. There are some things such as gaps between sealing rubbers on the tailgate etc and the odd bit of finishing which could be improved at little effort at the factory.

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

Re: 156 2.4JTD 20V - 5000m update

Good to hear it.
AO Silver Member
County: -

Most of the car makers do overstate their HP...torque figures....but with Alfa it is another case....For example the 115hp 1.9JTD 275NM normally is 128hp and 315NM from what I have seen on many tests...

The other alfaowners should tell you better....I havent done a dyno test yet
AO Gold Member
County: -

Atleast Alfas have Horses under the bonnet........unlike the Japanese Ponies

...and of course, you are conversant with the cockney rhyming slang for 'pony'?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 20v , 24jtd , 5000m , update