GT boot - Cavernous ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 30-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
GT boot - Cavernous ?

Hi Peeps
Ive been looking to replace my trusty 147..with another 147..but then I had an epiphany: The GT has a hatchback style boot and not a saloon style boot. So, although I wouldnt mind another 147, I wouldnt mind something a little bit different, my question is: will my bike (and !eeek! occasionally 2 bikeS) fit in the back ?
In the 147 back seats down, front wheels off both mountain bikes, one bike backwheel towards the engine, a dustsheet over the top and then another bike backwheel towards the boot. Easily goes in.
Its not like I do this every weekend (if i did I wouldnt even entertain this even with the 147; im not pretending its a picnic and that the neighbours arent at me). Ive checked the specs and had a look at some pictures, I THINK it will take 2 bikes, and Im almost 100% it will take one.
So, anyone done this? As I say Im not expecting it to be easy, but like i say its not like I do this every weekend.
From other bits Ive read there isnt a roof rack or bike rack readily available so I wouldnt have a plan B if I took the plunge with the GT. I can picture the missus' face now......

Cheers !
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
Certainly wouldn't even think of a roof rack for my GT even if they did one!

But the boot is a pretty decent sized space to use. I have managed my adult mountain bike AND my 2 lads mountain bikes in the rear of mine. Had a bit of a squeeze around the Bose sub, would have ben easier if that wasn't there as it stopped a rear wheel fitting perfectly.

All in all a very usable space, and with the seats down, positively voluminous!
AO Member
You can definitely fit 2 large full-suspension mountain bikes in the back of the GT, I do it all the time. We take both wheels off the bikes though, not sure if they would fit with one wheel still on.

On a side note I've spent hours and hours researching bike racks for the GT and the only way it can be done is with a towbar. I've also phoned every towbar place I can find and the cheapest quote I have so far is 445 fitted, with most quotes being around the 600 mark
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

SEAT family bus

Mine had a tow bar when I bought it, initially this put me off but it's a removable one and I figured I could get a bike rack for it.

I'd say if you can get two in a 147 then you should be able to get them in a GT, but as mentioned it might be better to remove both wheels.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1019
I think whereas the 147 boot is sort of taller and more cube like, the GT is more wide and low - after all it's based on the 156 sportwagon floor pan. Haven't tried bikes in mine although oddly the wife was talking about her getting a bike tonight.
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 Ti 2.0 JTDm

The GT has a HUGE boot for a car of its size! lol Defiantly more useable than the boot of the 159 and bigger than the Brera!
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 31-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Cheers guys, I think that's helped to swing it towards the GT. I think I'll pop to my friendly dealer and have a poke around one.
As has been hinted at, the gt has a bigger boot than the 147 because it has the longer wheelbase of the 156 - the 147 is shorter. In terms of their width they're all pretty much the same, the turrets, boot floor and suspension is the same for all of them.

....obviously the 156 doesn't have split folding rear seats unless it's an sw.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

boot , cavernous