147 Mjtd buying advice : head vs. heart! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 25-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Conwy
147 Mjtd buying advice : head vs. heart!

I've Never owned an Alfa , but a lovely little red 05 plate 147 1.9JTD M-JET has caught my eye.

(I'm still recovering from 1 very expensive French mistake - so why do I find myself looking at an Alfa of all things - I ask myself!)

Test drove it this afternoon and as I suspected, I kinda fell for it immediately. However - few little niggles:

Seemed to me like the clutch wasn't too good. on a couple of occasions I found that if I booted it in 4th at about 35 the revs would slip away wildly once the turbo spooled up. This was not always repeatable though and the clutch did seem to bite quite nicely when pulling away etc, so may be more of an oil-leak type issue than wear? The dealer says if they agree it needs a clutch then that'll be done as part of the service, but just wondering if there's any hidden nasties here - do these babies have Dual Mass Flywheels for example?

It's done 70k with only the 1st 3 stamps by an alfa dealership and skecthy S/H after that. so no evidence of any cambelt change, so I'm factoring that into negotiations. from what I've read here that needs attending to sharpish!

Also, I found the braking effort required was a lot more than expected. It stopped sharp enough and I don't mind that (preferable to many vehicles these days which fel over-servo'd to me) if that's 'normal' for these cars.

There was also a little evidence of whine linked to road-speed which I took to be probably wheel-bearings, unless you guys know any better?

Price: seems a little over book-price to me, but when compared to other classifieds I can see - seems not far adrift - especially with the Tan interior, which is on good, but not pristine condition.

Now here's the crunch. This is intended to be my daily workhorse for my 50 mile round trip to and from work. I'm trying to convince myself that it will prove Economical whilst still having a bit of welly and being a relatively nice place to spend an hour and a half each day...so Realistically - what sort of MPG can I expect? my journey is all A-roads with very little stop-start traffic.

There's no doubt it's a cracking little motor which will guarantee I arrive at workwith a smile on my face, but is it likely to repeatedly kick me in the wallet in the process?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts opinions or comments that might aid my decision!

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Gloucestershire
Wife has one, brakes very good on hers (better than my 156), cam belt ok but water pump should be replaced at 50,000 which includes doing the cam belt. Clutch on hers is quite heavy though.
MPG I find around 38 as she drives it around town all the time, but if you are doing 50 mile trips and stay at an average of 50MPH then a 2.4JTDm 156 would be far better as they are higher geared
Mind you the 147 is very "chuckable" (like the alfasud) and I do enjoy driving hers as well as my 156SW
Just buy it you'll love it
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
the clutch............
from what i found with a similar thing on my old 156 2.4jtd......what u describe seems that same as release bearing wearing the metal tangs it sits in
it should not slip at all...........itll get worse not better..........if no new clutch is fitted walk away.

dont be fobbed off...........its a expensive job

AO Silver Member
County: Shropshire
That only the 120ish bhp so should be ok on the clutch once done tbh.

I would get cambelt and water pump done asap.

Also make sure the upper arms have been done and has a new egr and maf.

Mpg circa 40mpg.
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
Maybe it's just me, but it looks like the paint doesn't quite match up in the pic's, mainly the Rear N/S Passenger Door and the rear panel, get a full history check done independent from the dealer, shouldn't cost more than 30ish at the most.

P.s; I'm worse than you in the head vs heart stakes; I bought the 1st Alfa i ever drove, (private sale, 147) a whole couple of hours after i drove it without doing any checks, and after a couple of years with it (even though i was a member on here and knew i should ask questions), I bought the 1st GT i saw/drove from a garage after the test drive (and later realised, i didn't even lift the bonnet up to check the oily bits), opp's!

(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 26-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks for all your advice. Forums like these make buying and owning so much better!
I'll push for clutch, belt & pump - see if they'll do that for the asking price, if not I'll leave it!!

Fingers crossed!!
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 31-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Well I didn't go for it in the end - despite it being a lovely car, the clutch issue niggled me and it was right at the top of my price bracket (slightly over in honesty) and If I was going to shell out that much I want to be sure it's pretty straight.

However - I ended up going for an older 3-door (53) 147 Lusso 1.9 JTD Mjet in sort-of-black ('Graphite' I guess you'd call it) - It's got more miles on (95,000) but has had cambelt & waterpump changed twice in that time, just had top suspension bushes and rear training arms done, and is a 1 owner plus dealership car bought from the mechanic who's serviced it for the previous owner for the last 5 years. It's a bit 'used' but generally tidy and near as dammit half the price!

From what I've read this will be the 140Bhp model as opposed to the 150 of the other one, and it doesn't feel as punchy but still a nice drive and looks to be returning decent MPG.

Wish me luck !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , advice , buying , head , heart , mjtd