More 147 Selespeed problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 25-03-11 Thread Starter
County: Pembrokeshire

Member car:

More 147 Selespeed problems

3 months ago bought a 2003 147 selespeed, initially it was working OK although the change down paddle on the steering wheel didn't work. Then my wife took it over to Bristol (about 100 miles). She stopped for about 20 mins and when she started it again it was stuck in neutral. Called out the AA, by the time they arrived, about 40 mins, started it and it worked perfectly. She took it to an Alfa main dealer near Bridgwater and left it there for a week. They changed the gearbox relay unit and tested it, appeared to be OK. I drove it back (about 150 miles) no problems. About a week later, similar scenario, stuck in neutral. It's happened a couple of times since, leave it around an hour and it works perfectly. No Alfa dealers near us so took it into Fiats. They put it on diagnostics and it came up with Lever switch 0 and 1 errors. They gave me to believe that this didn't mean anything and there only suggestion was to replace the Selespeed unit a a cost of 2 grand!!!! Bottom line is, nobody I've seen so far really knows much if anything about Selespeed. Any ideas on what at the moment is an intermittent but pain in the behind problem?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
I think they mean they changed the selespeed pump relay?

When it stays in neutral this usually means the sele system has no pressure in the system, So it cannot select any gears.

Next time it does it see if you can hear the selespeed pump running, this could be a simple pump problem! You could also try tapping the pump, if its just worn brushes in the pump it may bring it to life!
AO Member
County: -
+1 pump

If the pump isn't priming, the red selespeed light should be on constantly without any beeps...
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
I admire your bravery having an Alfa in deepest Wales.......

still to business, assumimg there is enough sele fluid in it and you are not leaking any, my money is on the pump itself, the pump motor brushes wear and sometimes to not make clean contact and leaves you stranded.

My sele did exactly the same thing, new pump and it has been fine ever since, trouble is the pump was £225 before fitting, but it is DIY-able if you are feeling brave, and any garage should be able to do it in a half day.

(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 29-03-11 Thread Starter
County: Pembrokeshire

Member car:

Thanks for the info folks. I shall run that past the garage.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , problems , selespeed