motor control system faliur - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
County: Auckland

Member car:

Cry Like A Baby

Originally Posted by ti guy View Post
What were the symptoms when MCS failure came on?. I had persistant MCS failure in my 1.9jtd 16v 156 sportswagon, I had owned the car from 5000 miles and probs started to occur around 180,000.....she was a great car and still is! however , when the MSC came on there was usually an instant loss of power.Some times you could catch it on the throttle and get power back but normally it would go into a sort of limp home mode and not go over 3000rpm. Stop the car and sometimes it would clear itself and drive normally, more often than not with the warning sign still on ! sometimes it might take days or a reset back at the garage.
At The Garage:
First thing replaced was the the turbo as it seemed that might be the problem, it could have been stripped down to see if the veins were clogged but was decided to have fitted an official Alfa recon turbo.All was fine for about a year , then the problem started again.
Back she went on the diagnostic puter and the EGR valve flashes up, we replace the EGR valve and all seems fine .........for a couple of months.....then same problem.
In she goes again, everyone scatching their heads now, back on diagnostics and another valve comes up, it is not suspected to be the culprit as apparently this valve only does something on start up ( I cant remember the name of it!) but it was replaced anyway to make sure......drove her home and up flashes the MSC failure again!
In to the garage again......this time the thottle assembly comes into question, a known working second hand unit was installed (new ones are expensive!) but no different!!
Back in garage again...diagnostics saying something about low pressure boost, then it is decided to wash out some valve to the manifold....drove her home and she felt like a brand new car!
However.........the problem returned a month the ignition barrell the answer? we shall find out!
My Alfa 147 is doing similar things like yours... but is it 2008 and 40000km...
It just Stop on the mid of the road...i am scared !........
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Berkshire
During my investigations it became clear the connection box is a good bet. Many have soldered the wires together.

I'll check loose plugs ta.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Originally Posted by nabulsi View Post
lights back on again, it only took it a day. the mechanic was suspecting a lambda sencor.
and most propably it is it, becuse as soon as the worning came up, my L/100k went up to 21 on 2 gear, it goes lower but is still to high, it goes as low as 8 where it should be 4, will go to garage and se if i can get it changed.
It could be his diagnostic isn't reading correctly .. you don't say what 156 you have but earlier than Sept 2001, and the diag on the car wasn't standard. He may get a response, but you cannot guarantee it's the right one!

Lambda is a possibility but mine never put the management light on when it was going. Just recorded faults. Also if you do change it (or them!) make sure they are BOSCH. Cheaper copies are wrong ohm ratings and just throw up errors for fun.

When my engine light comes on it's because the Cam Sensor is failing.

But you will only find out with a compatible diagnostic system ....

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Member
County: Essex
has that sorted the problem since and for how long ?
County: Argyll and Bute
mcsf 156jts 2.0

I changed the Battery which seemed to fix it for a week or two, changed the MAF and lambdas etc but it kept coming back! Also it only seemed to do it when i was down to a quarter of a tank of fuel... never did it on a full tank... crazy![/QUOTE]

exactly how my 03 plate 156 veloce behaves.
leads me to believe i have a faulty fuel tank sensor or worn fuel pressure system.
any ideas from you guys are gratefully received.
regards Duncan.
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
I had a repeated MCF with my 156 when I bought it, thankfully with a warranty. The garage tried changing loads of littler stuff, EGR valve, MAF... it took a recon turbo to make it go away.
AO Member
County: Norfolk

Member car:

GT Q2 Cloverleaf

Originally Posted by Ayrton5 View Post
I had a repeated MCF with my 156 when I bought it, thankfully with a warranty. The garage tried changing loads of littler stuff, EGR valve, MAF... it took a recon turbo to make it go away.
Look out for a whining from the turbo at low revs, mostly when pulling away. Mine had a couple of recons and both weren't balanced properly and I had to have a new one in the end.
AO Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

Originally Posted by kingwahwah View Post
My problem is different. Never had misfire or flashing MSCF light. Always on.
I had the service (SGT taplow) they found all lamba sensors had failed. Reset and clean up. Only done 500 since no MSCF as yet.

I replaced battery last week. 65 for Borsh S5 delivered in two days!

I still get intermittent turbo feature. i.e. no power then 2500rpm whoosh...only in 2/3 gears.

I did a ECU reset a week before service. Turbo seemed to have gone. May try a new reset now lambas are behaving.

PS worried lambas fault would have caused carbon build up and could it be my clutch?

note: most weeks i'm only doing 15 miles as I'm "resting" from work life.

I had the very same thing mate 2500rpm nothing then whoosh....was a blocked egr valve....clean it up and make sure to split it as all the soot was inbetween the solenoid and the housing.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

control , faliur , motor , system