a little story for my 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 22-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Lanarkshire
a little story for my 156

Ok mods my apologies if you feel this is in the wrong section.

well on saturday morning i left too goto reading for an airsoft event along with 4 other cars met at abington service station just off the m74,trip down was good plenty of banter and great laughs and i took the usual slagging for driveing an alfa....

several hours later

while driveing down the m40 just after j5 when i was second car a pheasant...yes a pheasant decided too have a wander right in front of me as i was doing 75mph and WHACK!!! hit the bloody thing,at this point everything seemed ok until the car behind me radios an says there is a little smoke comeing from my car.... so off at j6 right at a roundabout and into a layby approx 200 yards down the road.

so out i get too find the pheasent lodged in my meshy plastic grill inbetween the bumper out it comes damage appears too be just the mesh bit thats suffered yay says me......no started the car up too see my temp gauge shoot straight upto 90C so bonnet up no water in the resevoir,so i start too fill it up too see that its ******* out the corner of the rad as quick as am putting it in. so not too dampen the weekend pilled my gear into one of the other cars and continued on leaveing the alfa at the side of the roa in a safe pplace and contacted local cops too inform them.

so sunay afternoon comes around i call rac too come assist too find my membership expired....**** says me,so 150 quid too take out a new membership but no recovery so 2 hours later rac patrol turns up and puts some flakey stuff in the rad as he suspects its a small crack fair do's says me and for approx 5mins yes there is hope.. until we see the water ******* out again....not so goodso after a couple of minutes and a few expetives later i get towed too maidenhead too a garage maidenhead auto's repair centre and then dropped off at the travellodge in m'head,where i then spent the night for 50 quid.

next morning

garage calls me too say yes they can get a rad at a cost of 108 gbp,go for it was my responce i need too get home. so after a walk about the town centre went too the garage and was told they hadnt started it yet but it was next on the ramp this time about 1130, yep thats ok fast forward too 1500 sir your car is ready and good too go, brilliant or so i thought until i got the bill......rad 108,labour 120,anti freeze 18 quid and vat aswell all in 346.46 at this point my heart missed a few beats but ok here is my card. yes i think i was done too but i was stuck over 400+ miles from home.

so 7 and a half hours later 400 odd miles i am finally back home safe and sound and no more events regaring the alfa.

all in all my little trip away has cost me over 700 quid an a broken alfa meshy grill lol

morale of the story dont hit a pheasant an check your breakdown coverage.

if at first you dont succeed keep trying then give up

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , story