Selespeed driving - comments, techniques and questions - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 19-07-04 Thread Starter
AO Member
Selespeed driving - comments, techniques and questions

I've had my 147 Selespeed for about a month now. Having only ever driven manual cars before I'm interested in knowing any differing driving techniques you use when drigving your Selespeed. I've found myself getting into some habits that I am not sure are Best Practice!

- I always used to drive with one hand (right) on the wheel and one left) on the gearstick. When driving casually I do this in the Selespeed as well, but with an interesting difference, I change up using the paddle under my right hand but change down using the gearstick in my left. This technique has the unfortunate side effect of when going round a left-hand bend/corner if you try and steady yourself with the gearstick you drop it into neutral!

- I've not managed to figure out yet how to get the best upchanges when driving spiritedly. I've experimented with keeping the accelerator planted when flicking the paddle and also by lifting off just prior (as you would on a manual). What's the general consensus on this?

- There have been a few times when I've been changing down manually when slowing for a junction, say from 3rd to 2nd but I've hit the rev-point where the box changes for you at the same time so I've dropped two cogs (straight into 1st) rather than the one I'd intended. Is it best to let the box do the work for you in these circumstances?

- I find the full auto "City" mode rather/extremely* naff so I rarely/ever* use it.

* Delete as applicable!

- The throttle blip on downchange rocks!

- The self-learning feature, what does it actually learn and how does it affect the unit? If you've just bought a 2nd hand Selespeed, is it best to get it reset so it forgets all of the previous owners' quirks and learns yours instead?

- I've found it pretty useable, and am presently surprised after hearing all the scare stories on Top Gear etc. about these "funny paddley things".

- Mine auto-upchanges at about 6800rpm. My old 145QV revved to just over 7000. Is there any way to change the auto-upchange rev point?

"Ah," said Dirk "it is a rare mind indeed that can render the hitherto non-existent blindingly obvious."

My 147 in the owner garage

The Workshop - Run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts

Have workshop manuals on CD for 147, 145/6, 156 and 75, PM for details...
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 & WRX PPP

Re: Selespeed driving - comments, techniques and questions

This old thread (Selespeed - any reason why not?) can answer some of your questions.
AO Platinum Member

Re up-change: once the engine & gearbox are warm just keep the throttle in a steady position (if it is flat, keep it flat).

Donít steady yourself by holding onto the gearlever, it is only an electrical switch you will break it. Plus one of the main ideas behind Selespeed is that you keep both hands on the steering wheel. Holding onto the gearlever on a manual car is bad too because you wear out the selectors in the gearbox.

re your 3rd-2nd change & junctions: either change from 3rd to 2nd earlier or wait until it is crawling in 2nd then make a manual change to 1st using the gearlever (the paddles don't work under about 10km/h).

Re "City" mode: they should stop calling it City mode as it is not suited to town driving; it is great for cruising on the Motorway though.

The problem with most TV & magazine test drives is that they don't drive the car for very long and the Selespeed can take a while to get used to because you don't drive it like either an automatic or a manual, it is at its best when you drive it like a PlayStation!

David C

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG
xAlfa 156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion
Fiat Cinquecento 899cc
AO Member

I agree with all DavidC's points except that I do find lifting off the throttle slightly when changing up leads to a smoother change.

I used 'City' mode on my 2000 Selespeed for the first miles through the Holland / Belgium rush hour after I collected it from the dealer and only a handful of times thereafter in the 70,000 miles of ownership. I found it awful.

As far as the rev limiter is concerned I guess there are people with the Selespeed computer reprogrammed. Autodelta must have done it for their tuned versions.

Interestingly my 156 GTA Selespeed doesn't automatically change gear at the red line, but the conventional EMU rev limiter cuts in.

I was unaware of a self-learning feature. No mention of it in the manual for either my 2000 car or the new GTA.

Is it applicable to the 'City' mode in the current models only?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

comments , driving , questions , selespeed , techniques