New 147 Owner and steering noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
New 147 Owner and steering noise

Hi all,

Recently picked up my 147 2.0 Lusso Selespeed, and am loving it .......but (and there is always a but) I have noticed what seems like a whining sound occuring when the steering wheel is moved either left or right of it's staright on position. This noise is more pronounced the further left or right the wheel is turned, and is louder when done if the car is stationary, although it appears to still happen on the move. I am inclined to thik it might be the Power steering pump or servo......any ideas.

Will take to nearest Alfa dealer to have a look !

Also noticed some droplets of water in the passenger footwell and think that they only appeared when the fan climate control was blowing into the footwells. I don't think it was water leaking in from the outside, as it was out in the rain overnight and there were no droplets whem I first got ino the car !

Any thoughts ?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: -
Re: New 147 Owner and steering noise

Well one thing you should not be doing is turning the steering wheel without moving the car at all as the stess on the steering gear is enormous, and will damage the steering gear. You should always move slightly forward whilst turning steering.
I supect that the reason that there is more noise when trying to turn the wheel whilst stationary as the steering pump is working overtime trying to turn the wheels.
Mine certainly makes a noise at full lock and some noise when going from centre to full lock. My noise is the power assist pump working.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , noise , owner , steering