2.4 JTD conrod exit wound - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 15-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Worcestershire

Member car:

159 2.4 TI

2.4 JTD conrod exit wound

Had some bad luck today, I was driving home along the M18 just before joining the M1 when I heard this loud metallic noise and something bounce along the bottom of the car. Initially I thought the cambelt had gone (though only changed 3000 miles ago), but soon realised that with oil dripping from the bottom of the car it was worse than that even. So it appears that that no1 or no2 conrod has departed the engine.

So 2 Q's:

1. Is this something known on JTD's, mine had only done 137k!

2. How easy is it to do an engine swap on the floor. I have reasonable knowledge of mechanics as I have done engine swaps on Mk2 Golfs and Corrados before now, but never anything like this on an Alfa (any links to any guides also?)

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Not a common failure on the JTDs - they can do mega mileages - I've had one on over 215K miles.

Engine swap isn't anything out of the ordinary - you'll need to take engine and box out together, so take out battery and battery tray, undo driveshafts (6 allen key bolts on each driveshaft flange), drop the exhaust, undo every pipe and hose and piece of wiring you can see, disconnect the gear cables, then support the engine, remove the engine mounts and haul away......pausing only to remove the pipes and wires that you forgot - like the power steering pipes that are a ***** to get at....

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 16-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Worcestershire

Member car:

159 2.4 TI

Cheers for that, spoke to Simply Alfas today and they suggested it would be 24 hours labour to take out the old engine and refit the new, no doubt it would need a new clutch in the process plus finding an engine at the right price would also be not that simple. Is it worth it in something that value wise is not going to be worth a great deal, probably not.

My thoughts are that I may end up breaking it, firstly I will attempt to remove the engine just in case i do it quickly and easily. Otherwise all parts will be available, anyone needing anything of a Black Veloce 2.4 JTD with black leather and later interior let me know. I am on holiday next week but will return having given it some proper thought.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

conrod , exit , jtd , wound