New tyre time - 17" summer on 156 2.4 20v - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
New tyre time - 17" summer on 156 2.4 20v

As the title says, it's about time for new summer tyres on my 2.4 20v Sportwagon.
I'm trying hard to make a decision and not break the bank at the same time, so the likely choice would be a set of four Kumho KU32 215/45 R17 91W XL.

Now come the fun facts:
1. I've got non-standard 17" alloys which are currently equipped with Avon ZZ3 in 225/45 R17 94V.
2. My car registration document (I believe the British equivalent is the V5 paper) says 215/45 R17 91W as the only accepted 17" tyre size
3. The Kumho KU32's are XL (reinforced) tyres.

And the questions:
1. Is there any specific thing regarding the alloys? I did hear one person saying the XL tyres will only work on specific types of alloys
2. Should I go for 215/45 or stick with the tried-and-tested 225/45 (and maybe get them added into the registration document)?
3. Anyone had any first-hand experience with Kumho rubber on Alfas?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
i also have 225/45 x 17 on a 2.4 SW with UniRoyal Rainsport 2 tyres. The wider tyre gives a softer ride as the sidewall is deeper. Sorry can't help with the Kumohs.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD SW

I'm a stickler on this subject, cheap tyres are a false economy. It is not like branded milk over supermarket label milk, there is a huge difference. Evo magazine put 2 (I'm sure they were Kumho's) on a long term MX5 because they would not have the car much longer and couldn't source the original spec tyres at the time, the car became virtually undriveable in their words, they were quite shocked at the difference. They are the most important component on the car, the only thing that keeps you on the road, in every aspect, ride, wet and dry braking/cornering/handling, noise, feel, and wear, a good branded tyre is the only way to go. There are no real regulations around what safety performance levels a tyre must achieve before it can be offered for sale, but they are on the way, which will rid the roads of what I consider some very dubious tyres. I cannot stress the point hard enough here. Thats a nice car you have there, with high performance levels, it needs to be on a good set of Conti's or Michelin's. Even the cheapest Michelin is a vastly superior product than the most expensive cheap brand. An emergency avoidence or braking incident on a wet slippery road at night is not the time to find out you didn't make a wise choice of tyre. Its the best money you'll ever spend. And probably stick to the size your already on, that way you'll have a true comparison, in other words your used to that size of tyre, going smaller might feel like a backward step, and what TOX1C says makes sense.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 20v , new tyre time 17 , sportwagon , summer , tyre