No Third Gear - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 14-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147

No Third Gear

I've got major problems with my Alfa 147 1.6. It's a 2001 model with about 115,000 miles on the clock. At the moment i actually have no third gear; if i select third gear and try to accelerate it just hits the third gear back to neutral?

Ironically i used to have a problem whereby i couldn't get the car out of third sometimes!? Now it is the complete opposite. It's never been a particularly nice gearbox to be fair but i'd appreciate a third gear lol.

I'm yet to have anyone take a look at the car but i'm just wondering if anyone here might be able to spread some light on the situation? Anyone else suffered something similar perhaps?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Sounds like yet another car that needs a new gearbox - think thats the third or fourth one this week!
AO Member
County: -
i had a similiar issue with my 2.0 but instead of getting to neutral it would jump out to 4th gear, meaning from 2nd trying to get to third, doesnt work, would jump instead to 4th, a clutch changed fixed my problem
AO Member
County: -
Hi there did u come right with your 3rd gear, I had the same problem on my alfa 147 took It in turned out that the 3rd gear itself was stripped !!! And the syncro gear aswell,the gearbox has to come out , also jumped out faster under acceleration, hope this helps

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT