O/S suspension rattle looks to actually be broken undertray - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 13-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
O/S suspension rattle looks to actually be broken undertray

Hi All,

I finally jacked up my 156 SW today to have a look and try and figure out which bit of the suspension was giving me the knocking noise I've had since buying the car.

Upon taking the wheel off, I immediately noticed that the undertray on the passenger side was broken. A nut towards the front of the car in the wheel well has been ripped right through the tray, and at the back of the tray on that side, is some very gash riveting to try and hold it off the floor.

If I push up on the tray where the bolt has been ripped out, I can feel it's fairly heavy, and does hit against the panels it's supposed to join.

I've seen some aluminium replacements on here, but my question is, how important is it? I know most of you will be screaming, well if it's broken, that could have been the engine! However this car was imported from the UK to Guernsey, and will now spend the rest of it's life going at 35mph or less and I've never grounded a car over here on anything (and I owned a special edition Fiat for a while that was very low), so I'm wondering if I could just take the thing off? Might even improve cooling at the slow speeds we drive at!

I also saw a post that some cars don't come with them as standard? Plus, I'm worried that it's in such a bad state, that even if I buy a replacement, I might not be able to fit it to the existing mounting points.

What do we think?
Sponsored Links
I ran without an undertray on my 147 for about 3 months. I was worried about cooling but had no problems, but you will notice the engine will get a lot dirtier and you dont want water getting into your 10 year old electrics either??

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

broken , o or s , rattle , suspension , undertray