Tyreweld - yea or nay? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 10-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Tyreweld - yea or nay?

I've got a slow leak in one of my 17's... It's coming from the rim, not from a puncture. The tyre place say they could clean it up and re-fit the tyre, but it probably won't last.

What are the pros and cons of firing a can of tyreweld into it?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
It ****** the tyre fitter off when he eventually takes the tyre off and it ends up all over him and the workshop floor if you forget to tell him about it!

I've had mixed results to be honest. Never used it on a car but I did try it on my bike - came back to the garage next morning to find a big green puddle under the bike :-)

Another disadvantage if you use the puncture prevention stuff is that you can (in theory) have some fairly major tyre damage from a puncture and not know about it until the tyre fails at high speed.
AO Member
County: Lancashire
I had 16's on my peugeot one had a slow puncture, i put tyre weld in it and even though it recommends no faster than 50mph and a temp fix i had it in for about 2000 miles and did 70mph every day on the motorway with no problems, i keep a a can of it in the boot just incase as its easier (and safer) than changine a tyre at the side of the road.
AO Member
County: Worcestershire

Member car:

Used it a fair few times, cant go wrong with the stuff!! outlasted a few 'proper' tyre place repairs. well worth keeping a can in the boot!!
AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

You can get the wheel rim refurbished and the tyre resealed for around £30 per wheel.

Worth it in my opinion as otherwise the wheel is a write off. The leak will also get worse and ruin the tyre if you don't keep it topped up.

Isn't the tyreweld stuff designed to plug a hole in the rubber of the tyre?
In your case it sounds like corrosion of the rim causing bad tyre fit. Think you'll find the gunk just leaks out as well.
AO Member
County: -
Used it with great success on my boat caravan. Tire was completely flat, wasn't even attached to the rim anymore. Filled it with foam and air and it popped back into place. Lasted four seasons now and not leaking.
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

If it's corrosion on the rim the tyre people can try and clean the rim up then use "tyre soap" when they refit the tyre. Not sure what tyre soap is other than a soapy sealant type stuff but it worked for me before. Pretty well stopped the rim from leaking completely. Can't see it costing more than a tenner to do this, which is pretty much what a can of tyre weld costs.
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Used it on several occasions with great success but was not popular with tyre fitters when i subsequently changed the tyre.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

nay , tyreweld , yea