Looks Like Its Bye Bye To The Oil Burner - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 09-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
Cry Like A Baby Looks Like Its Bye Bye To The Oil Burner

Well the clutch managed to just about hold on but I think it was the gear linkage that has gone in the end. I am not surprised however as its managed to hold out for the last 2 weeks with me pushing and pulling the gears around like a nutter just so it would go into gear!

The clutch was biting at the lowest point possible - and only just at that! I could sit in traffic in 1st with the clutch pedal feeling like it was going to go through the bulkhead and the car would still be crawling forward
But today I pushed too hard into 1st and my hand shot forwards and knuckled the dash (more lost skin from my knuckles due to my Bella!) - turning on the hazards in the process. I am now left with a gear stick that does . . . nothing Think the linkage has just come apart??

The engine is fine and although miles are high it has been looked after. I can't afford to get it fixed and a company car may be on the way in 3 months so I don't want to spend on something that may end up redundant.

So I will say that I will have an 156 2.4 JTD Veloce SW 02 plate (03 car) with some nice bits on (ex demo originally) such as xenonís, full leather (Recaro maybe - itís the ones with sliding panel under the legs) and the Bilstein B12 kit for suspension (my addition) - for sale pretty soon So someone with access to cheap parts and is a dab hand with a spanner could sort her very easily.

But its been great fun owning and driving my Bella and just as great to have so much help at hand thanks to a fantastic forum such as Alfa Owner and the people that make it what it is I'll still be around and reading - lets face it, where else could I hear of the highs and lows of being an Alfisti!!
Will let you know, if interested, what I am doing with the car once I get things in order.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Shropshire
Let us know if you do decide to sell it
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
If its biting at the lowest point that is a master cylinder leaking not clutch BTW. Thats a lot cheaper to fix. If its high its a worn clutch.
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
I was just about to say the same as Joss.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 10-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
Thanks for replies guys,

@SidewaysMatt - will do fella. It has some nice bits on it - including a brand new front bumper - nice as long as you want nero black?

@ Rockhopper & Joss - Well that's what I thought by reading the various posts on the forum. It was biting pretty high (but not slipping at all) and then overnight it changed to just about biting at the bottom. I don't have any leaks under the car though - no fluid dripping?
Garage I took it to checked the master cylinder and they said it was the clutch that had gone??

What do we think the distinct lack of tension in the gearstick could be? Something has definitely snapped in there as the stick is not connected to the gearbox at all - it just flops about
AO Platinum Member
County: Durham
Sorry to hear that mate.

Give Justin a ring, he might be able to fix it for cheap or take it off your hands.

He was just asking after you the other day.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

burner , bye , oil