Getting fed up with my ALFA what to do? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Originally Posted by simesgt View Post
The Koni FSD kit was 462 plus VAT so 550 or so. Labour - well go to an independent (obviously) and you'll pay for the hours they use rather than a list price, so yours may be different from mine. It's not a quick job switching the shocks on an Alfa and I also paid to have all 4 wheels re-aligned afterwards (well worthwhile and I should save a bit on tyre wear having got that right). Labour came to 280 plus VAT i.e. 336 so I paid 890 all in. Ouch! I spent about a year deciding to do it and now I'm looking at keeping the car another year or two. But it is transformed. The ride is so much better. It's only crashy now when the roads are so bad it damn well ought to be crashy if you get my meaning.

BTW if you want a different opinion on the Koni FSDs - take a look at the Civic forums. They are having all the same discussions we have here about 'crashy ride'. There are several write-ups by people who've put FSDs on those cars and I couldn't do any better than quote them. The effect on my GT JTD with standard springs is just the same as they are describing. Take a look at 'Morris Minor's post on this page for instance. There are others too. Suspension Koni FSD..Initial Impressions. (merged) - Civinfo
What springs did you you use? Eibach? Going this route soon. sounds like the FSd's are much better than the old sport shocks koni used to do.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
Couple of things: you could get rid, try something else (non-Alfa) and see what happens. A lot tend to come back - I did!

Second thing someone mentioned about the tyre size: on here someone said 17's for drivers, 18's for poseurs?? Try a softer tyre before going to non-spec sized tyres - you could end up as one of the uninsured masses without realising it!
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
with experience mate, if you have a good alfa stick with it. Get a bad one, get rid quick and dont pretend it will be right. your kiddin yourself and will waste money. ive thrown money at them and regreted it. you will know when its the right one and sounds like you have a " friday " car.
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Originally Posted by Pablo Pirate View Post
Well found where the MAF lives and disconnected difference?

Will take it out and clean.
Good luck with that, I found once the MAF was out it's a sealed unit.

All the best

AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
Apart from doing essentials like a cam belt and an oil change, I always think it's a good idea to rein back the spending when you first get a new car. Just drive it for a few weeks and see which faults appear. It gives you a chance to find out whether you bought a dodgy one or not and if so, move it on. I know this advice is coming a bit late.
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
What springs did you you use? Eibach? Going this route soon. sounds like the FSd's are much better than the old sport shocks koni used to do.
Kept the standard springs, and haven't regretted it. Adding Eibachs would have pushed the bill over 1000. Also, I didn't want to lower the ride height. I accept I may be in a minority on this, but it's a happy minority!
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Nice writeup simesGT, ive just gone to 18 inch multispokes after the standard 16's, and yes there is a difference in ride, bloody harder. So much better in the twisty stuff though!! Will be going koni FSD's soon so your report was really interesting. Mind you ive only heard great things about the koni FSD setup on our cars. Interesting to hear feedback with standard springs!!

I am positive 225/45/18's would fit on our cars no problem!! ive measured everything in the arch!!! so the extra sidewall would be a bonus for ride comfort on 18's!! Oh well when i change rubber again!!
I don't think 225/45/18 are admitted and can invalidate your insurance.
If you check the handbook, it's either 215/45/17 or 225/40/18.
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
erm, the vauxhall EGR is no different to the Alfa (or SAAB) one! The big problem they have is the solenoid side seizing, which you can actually fix for free. Still on the original EGR valve at 83k miles but have done the solenoid side twice in that time.....

complete lack of power COULD be a split VNT actuator hose, or more likely perished.

And I certainly won't be doing 6k oil changes on my 2.4 - getting the downpipe / cat off etc is a PITA! It does nice long journeys though so 12k will be fine (touching wooden desk madly).
AO Member
County: Cornwall
Originally Posted by Pablo Pirate View Post

Alright got me! based in Devonport, live in Callington. Yourself?

Well found where the MAF lives and disconnected difference?

Will take it out and clean.

Can anyone recommend a diagnostic tool for checking fault codes and resetting? Seen loads o flea bay.

Also gotta vauxhall EGR on route.

Cheers Pablo
Live in Saltash, work at stonehouse, small world eh? Is your GT a black one? I was admiring onein the car park earlier in the year
County: Bucuresti

Member car:

159 2.4/156 GTA

get the fiatecuscan (the free version will work, if you need more details pm me) and with a vagcom or a elm327 interface (i recommend the last one)

as for cleaning the MAF, that is useless...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , fed