'00 alfa 156 2.0 TS selespeed problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 02-03-11 Thread Starter
County: Oost-Vlaanderen
Help '00 alfa 156 2.0 TS selespeed problem

when starting my alfa, the selespeed warning light is on, and the buzzer beeps.
when I just put in my key and turn it on, but I don't start the motor yet , I can switch gears normally ( I can hear them switching properly)
Then when I start the motor, sometimes I can switch gears normally, and sometimes I can't, then I have to try switch gears from R to N to 1/2, and after some trial and error the motor switches into gear and I can start off again.
I tried disconnecting the negative side of the battery (and so resetting the selespeed I guess?) but that doesn't do much.

any idea on what could be wrong?

the fact that it switches properly when the motor is not running gives me a little hope that it's not something big.. (also the fact that sometimes it works perfectly)
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross

Getting the fault codes read is the best start (make sure the gearbox ECU is being read), otherwise it's guesswork...

My own guess might be the clutch speed sensor though. Either worn (indicating a disintegrating main shaft bearing), or a bad/dirty connection.

Cleaning the connection to it (it's on the front of the gearbox near the reverse light switch), as well as the pins in the 20-way Selespeed wiring loom connector, and performing a recalibration procedure (AlfaDiag, FiatECUScan or Fiat Examiner required) may help it a lot.

Smaky, on the Alfa156.net forum is the expert though.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 06-03-11 Thread Starter
County: Oost-Vlaanderen

I went to the garage last weak, and the guy there told me it's most likely a problem with the wiring. And that it could cost a lot of time, and so : money to find out what part. (he told me it could take an hour or 2, but also a whole day or more and putting the diagnose only could easily go up to €500 or more, and even then I wouldn't be sure they will have found the exact problem)

so ... I was thinking, what if I start looking for the problem myself... but I wouldn't know how and where to start...
any ideas?

This clutch speed sensor.. where do I find and check this?
AO Gold Member
Buy alfadiag and a cable, as Iain said before !
Do not believe the garage guy, they are usually scared of seles because they don't understand
Whats the mileage of your car ?
AO Member
County: -
I highly suggest that you get a diagnostic cable and Alfadiag license if you're trying to fix this yourself. Could save you a lot of time and you can calibrate it yourself.
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

147 selespeed

sounds like accumilator to me but thats just going by experience
AO Member
County: Shropshire
do any of you guys know where i can get the lead for my pc to car connector from.i have got the alfadiag program but no lead and my selespeed is playing up,thanx

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , error , fault , gear , problem , selespeed