Clutch slipping - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 08-07-04 Thread Starter
AO Member
Clutch slipping

Just been in for airbag ECU - done and no outstanding faults

The aircon pipe which leaks has bent and is £60 to buy but in a crap place so 4 hours fitting. Sod that.

Thud from front suspension on setting off is the ball joint but it's still in good nick so no need to replace for the time being.

The clutch is slipping - slightly. Can't say I noticed at all, and I know what to look for. This, however would be about £700 , but I should get another year out of this one.

My question is - can I get a recon clutch cheap somewhere or does Mr Clutch do a decent job?

The RAC do a very comprehensive warranty for £350 - should I get this then go traffic light racing?

'52 2.4 JTD
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Hampshire
Re: Clutch slipping

Originally Posted by mallo
The clutch is slipping - slightly. Can't say I noticed at all, and I know what to look for.
Forgive my ignorance (and for going slightly off-topic), but what do you need to look for to tell if your clutch is slipping?

AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

It's determined when you spend more time reving in the 7000RPM band than you do moving...

Nah, you will see it when pulling away on an incline or when putting the car on ramps, the rev's will be high but no progression in the car.
At lights you will notice that you can't perform take-off's as you used to.
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 08-07-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

A reasonable test is to try and pull away in too high a gear - if the clutch is bad, it will slip on the higher gear and you will pull away rather than stalling. Also in 5th/6th if you put your foot down and the revs rise slightly before you start shifting.

The mechanic only noticed it putting it on the ramps so I'm not bothered yet. Even when they slip a reasonable amount you've still got a few hundred miles to get to a garage.

Anyway, back to topic....

Mr Clutch anyone? They quoted £420 fully fitted with 20,000 guarantee. National quoted £494 but admitted they'd never fitted one . Not about to let them train either!

All warranties don't cover clutch plate, only main/slave cylinders etc so looks like I'm saving up for the big event.

Last edited by mallo; 08-07-04 at 16:54. Reason: 494 not 594
AO Platinum Member
Thumbs Up Re: Clutch slipping

How many miles has it done? I'm not convinced it's worn out yet.

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 09-07-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

61,000 and I'm not convinced either. The bite is about 2" from the full pedal travel out and I don't have any signs.

It might not be like new but they only noticed it putting it on ramps. They are a good garage and the head mechanic has a V6 so I believe they were being genuine but I think it's got along way to go yet.

Has anyone ever risked a.n. other clutch fitter? My exhaust was done by Hi-Q and they did a great job (the previous owner got that done).
AO Member
County: Cumbria

My V6 seems to be slipping a bit over the last week, since the girlfriend borrowed it. I wanted to use her metro to go to the tip. Thought it was the FBW throttle at first as it has played up a couple of times, now not so sure. Seems worse accelerating in high gears, starts off ok then the revs start rising too fast so you have to let the throttle off. Mines done 61000 as well. Will keep my eye on it and see if it goes away, can't afford to replace it.
AO Silver Member

A going clutch will slip in the highest gear first, then progress down the gears as it gets worse. Thus the mech noticing on the ramp is odd - as you woul of noticed in 4/5th by now for sure.

I think he is swinging it. try bleeding the clutch hydraulics (and brakes) and replace all the fluid with new stuff - castrol super response is best. dont use an auto machine like AR do as it always leaves air in the system (part reason why AR brakes are rubbish), do it by hand the traditional way way with a sensible mate, or one way valve, do brakes first until clear new fluid (no particular wheel first, just opposites so if you start FL, then do RR), and then the clutch system. See workshop CD for instructions (ebay 5£)

Hold the rear end slide....don't run wide!

156 2.0TS Veloce Lthr (02/02), silver, black Momo, BMC filter,V6 intake, DS2500 Front-DS Perf Rear pads, Conti sportcontacts, OMP strut Brace .

Built in Italy, on the last Friday before (hic) Xmas........:-/
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 09-07-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

Cheers Dupes - you've put my mind at ease. Will give it a welly in 6th tonight to double check - oh the pain might have to open the window as well to check for suspicious noise.

Shambeko I'm afraid yours is on the way out. You'll notice the bite point getting closer to the floor of the footwell when it's really going. If you want to take the risk the independent clutch places are a good £250 cheaper than even my Alfa indie.

Will get a parts and workshop CD and do the clutch + brake fluid.

Thanks a lot.
AO Silver Member

I was worried about the clutch on my 145 2.0, but now I'm not sure what's going on; It bites near the top of the travel (ie away from the footwell), it's fine in higher gears, but if I do a hill start I sometimes get a noise / vibration (I really can't tell which!) just after the car has started moving in the last inch of clutch pedal travel. It's hard to describe the noise, just a brief quiet low pitched yelp; a bit like rubbing your finger over a bit of wet glass; this made me think it was the friction material on the way out. Any ideas?
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 09-07-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

Now that might be a warped clutch plate, which is different again. They can be skimmed I think.

I took it out at lunchtime and wellied it in 6th from about 40 and absolutely no slip whatsoever.

The run also coincided nicely with coming off a roundabout behind an x-type who put his foot down, but really came off a poor second best
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

If my memory serves me correctly, at around 44K miles, I had a clutch problem that wasn't slippage, but was serious.

The first indication was the clutch pedal travel lengthened suddenly and to disengage meant having to press so hard, I was crushing the carpeting. Took it to the dealer and on investigation they discovered the clutch had broken ... they didn't tell me which part, but I did get it changed under warranty (around 2 1/2 years old). But they did try and get out of it saying I had probably "abused" the clutch ...

I haven't heard anymore stories like this, so I hope in a way the problem was a one-off and I had a dodgy clutch.

BTW: Had I had the aforementioned clutch in my hand at the time, that particular Alfa service person would have been seriously abused with it after that comment! He was saved as the service manager was there and knew just how I treated my Alfa's.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

clutch , slipping