Clicking Noise When Driving in Gear - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 28-02-11 Thread Starter
County: Dorset

Member car:

Clicking Noise When Driving in Gear

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could help. Recently when driving my 147 i have noiced a clicking noise, which has only got loader over the last week. There is no noise when the engine is just turning over and it seems to dissaprear when the clutch is pressed when going along. The clicking sounds like it is coming from the front passenger wheel area but cannot be too sure.

It seems to be loudest when pulling away and once upto about 30/40 mph its not as noticable as when just pulling away. Im guessing its a bearing or drive shaft problem, just wondered if anybody has had the same or similar problem, just so i have an idea before putting it into the garage.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa GT

I seem to remember wifeys old Saxo was clicking away and that turned out to be the driveshaft. I think it was more noticeable when turning.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
I'd second, or is it third, the driveshaft. Had a Saab 9-5 that had exactly the symptoms you describe. Drive shaft and CV were needed.
Does it do it in a straight line, or just on cornering? If it is when you turn lock to lock at slower speeds then it would suggest a CV joint going/gone. Otherwise a dicky driveshaft is the likely cause.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

clicking , driving , gear , noise