147 1.6TS Variator - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 26-02-11 Thread Starter
County: Devon

Member car:

147 1.6TS Lusso

147 1.6TS Variator

Evening everyone.

I appreciate this might have been covered already, but I am now a little worried about the "Diesel" noise my engine makes on start up. It only lasts for a couple of seconds. A colleague (who is an ex mechanic) said not to worry, its the oil being pumped around the engine. But still, after reading through some threads on here its begining to play on my mind.
The car is a facelift version on a 05 plate. It had 20k miles on the clock when I bought it (from a Renault dealer in Exeter) in July 2010. I have since done 6k in it. The dealer changed the cam belt for me after a lot of nagging, so I am wondering if the variator is something they should have done at the time. I asked for the change as the car was over its 3 year cambelt change.
I bought the extended warrenty from the dealer, hence the cambelt being changed. I was worried that if the cambelt had not been changed and it snapped I would be responsible for the repair.
The car has all the service stamps in it from the local Alfa dealer apart from the last one which was done by a local mechanic.

What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Member car:

Rover 420 i.s

It's completely normal for that noise for a couple of seconds after start up.

If the noise does not go away and sounds like a diesel when warm then the variator is worn.

From what you say though yours sounds normal.

As to whether they should have changed it or not is open to conjecture. It's good practice to change it when doing belts as it only takes 10 mins extra. On the other hand if it's not knackered then you cant expect someone to change it willy nilly.
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
It shouldn't be noisy after such a low mileage however it won't do any harm to leave it till the next cam belt change is due. It adds about 100 to the cost of the cam belt change as well.
I don't believe there is an official service interval for it so a garage wouldn't necessarily change it unless you asked them to.
AO Member
Nothing to worry about, I changed mine at 75k kms and then at 125k kms.....that was over a nine year period! I would wait till you do cam belt next time.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 27-02-11 Thread Starter
County: Devon

Member car:

147 1.6TS Lusso

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.
This is my first Alfa, so I was a bit worried. Still getting used to all the new noises it makes over my last car, which as a 1995 Mk3 Golf Diesel, non turbo.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 16ts , variator