This is now getting beyond a joke.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 26-02-11 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

This is now getting beyond a joke....

Anyone who has been following my threads will know that the first major issue I had with my GT (not counting the cruise control not working, which was a minor issue fixed for little hassle and no cost) was my aircon not working, the problem being a leak in one of the aluminium refrigerant pipes, caused by the gear linkage rubbing against the pipe as a result of some previous work being done on the car that necessitated the linkage being temporarily removed from its seating and then not being put back.

Result - a £400 bill.

Last week I discovered the cause of a strange 'wumph' noise the car has had since I owned it - a bolt was missing that should have been holding the turbo hard pipe to the air filter box, causing a leak in the air intake. Presumably it had been removed by someone who had changed the air filter element and then not put everything they took off back. In addition, while working under the car to get access to the airbox and pipe I found out that the engine undetray had been ripped from its mountings at certain places instead of bolts being removed, and some bolts supposed to be holding it in place were missing (starting to see a pattern emerging here?!...)

Today I went to change the pollen filter and discovered.... one of the three bolts that hold the carpeted trim under the glovebox was missing, the rear 'flap' of the trim that attaches to the bulkhead had been torn off (with the flap still attached to the fixing stud), and two of the three bolts that hold the 'L' shaped cover for the pollen filters were missing. The filter had been previously changed as what came out were two small elements instead of one large one.

This leaves me with two questions...

1. All the serviceable parts on the car that came off are genuine Alfa items and the car was previously serviced at Alfa franchised dealers, so is it maybe the case that a lot of the reputation Alfas have is down to the incompetent work of dealer mechanics? And...

2. I hope the person or persons who did all this shoddy work have never been near the brakes,...... or the suspension.......
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Prahova

Member car:

Do never, ever rely on ANY mechanic to carry a competent work on your car! I recently bought a mint BMW 840ci full serviced at central dealership who had replaced 2 lambda sensors, all engine sensors+engine ECU +2 cats (4000euro bill) for a rough idle caused by a 2 euro o-ring which I discovered afterwards to leak. My 147 Selespeed that I bought a month ago was 4 times at the dealership for a selespeed malfunction which apparently needed replacement for the whole actuator assembly (2500euro) as the only cure. The real cause was simply a bad relay contact as I discovered upon a quick basic investigation with an ohmmeter...
I strongly believe that people need a chance but most so called trained mechanics are hopeless, to be a good mechanic you need to learn, observe and analyze before attempting to even tighten a bolt.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 17
County: West Yorkshire
Originally Posted by r11co View Post
1. All the serviceable parts on the car that came off are genuine Alfa items and the car was previously serviced at Alfa franchised dealers, so is it maybe the case that a lot of the reputation Alfas have is down to the incompetent work of dealer mechanics? And...
yarp, unfortunately but also people who expect them to be as low maintenance as trheir german counterparts help screw them up too.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Some GTs do use 2 small pollen filters like the 147, it comes down to chassis number as to what should be fitted. Unfortunately it seems like your car hasn't been to a good garage in its life, and you are suffering the consequences. Hope it all works out for you
AO Silver Member
County: East Dunbartonshire
As I said before - sounds like a full Arnold Clark service history. they are shoddy beyond belief - never used them for AR admittedly but have for several other marques and they were reliably unreliable . . . . . . .

The peach for me was a number of years back getting my Primera serviced prior to undertaking a drive to Italy they left not only the sump plug loose, but the oil filter loose too. The car had used/lost all it's oil within 5 days of being serviced. I was driving from Glasgow to Edinburgh frequently at the time too . . . .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT