Airbags - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Hmmm Airbags

OK folks here's one for you.

I just got my 147 back from the garage after someone had pulled out of a side road staright in to the side of me in her Merc SLK!
2 months later and about 3000 worth of repairs I have the beauty back and I couldn't be happier.

The thing is - I was hit side on, mainly on the rear drivers side door and cracked my head fairly hard of the top of the door frame.
Now correct me if I'm wrong but I would imagine my side impact airbags should have gone off in this situation? Any one have any ideas or know if this kind of thing happens regularly. I was thinking I should speak to Alfa about it but any advice would be greatyly appreciated.

Nice one,
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Airbags

I think they're designed to go off at about 22mph. I've heard of a 156 airbags not deploying also

You didn't have a little red man in a chair holding a big balloon on the dash did you?

I didn't have the little red man and I was probably travelling at just under 30 Mph - hmmm, think I'll give my dealer a call...???

Cheers fo the comeback...
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

Brera 1750Tbi Ti

I work on vehicle safety. The airbag usually deploys when the sensors detect a sudden deceleration due to the impact. For the side airbags, its usually for 50kph collision, as that speed has been determined to be the threshold or the limit before the occupants brains get damaged. The fact that you're still ok and writing in the forum shows that there wasn't a need for the airbag to deploy.

Although the 147 scored full points in the EuroNCAP side impact test, this is usually an indication of how good the performance of the structures in an ideal sense. ie, the occupant is seated in the 50th percentile seating position, with the 50th %-tile size and height. I presume you're a fairly large man to have knocked the door frame.

Fear not - as long as you walked away from it, the side and door structures have done their function to protect you fairly well. You've at least not wasted your airbags.
Thumbs Up Re: Airbags

If you have hurt yourself you should definatly see your solicitor though, your looking at thousands for a 'serious' whiplash injury, and that sounds serious enough to me...............

Good luck with whatever you decide........

Cheers Guy's...

I'll leave the letter to Alfa then...and you're right I am walking around and am not too badly injured... so all in all the car's done it's business.

And I'm looking forward to a nice whiplash claim...
Thanks Boys...helpful bunch aren't yer!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT