Best Oil for 147 T-Spark - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 23-02-11 Thread Starter
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Best Oil for 147 T-Spark

Bought a second hand 147 couple of weeks ago.

Just wanted some advice on the best oil to keep the engine topped with and why ti buy it?

Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
As with anything, "best" comes down to how much you are willing to spend.

For a 10W40 Semi-Synthetic oil, Mobil Super 2000 X1 is ok and on offer in Halfords at the moment.
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 23-02-11 Thread Starter

Member car:

Is that the one I need 10W40?

Sorry if I sound a bit thick

AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
I'm pretty sure a 10w-40 would be fine but a 5w-40 might be a bit better, gets round the engine a bit quicker when cold and might help with the pesky variator rattle on startup.
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 23-02-11 Thread Starter

Member car:

Isn't that for a diesel engine?

I've got a petrol
AO Member
County: Fyn
From my experience Motul X-cess 8100 is about as good as it gets for reasonable price...
I've also used Castrol Magnatec in my TS.....the car ran fine too...

Personaly I wouldn't mix different oils.....not to speak for different viscosities.Just change the oil every 6k miles...and keep the left overs (If 5L bottle) or buy 1L for top-up...
My car did not need oil top up between changes(every 6000 miles) and I say that a good condition TS wouldn't consume more than a litre every 6000 miles....
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

147 TS 1.6

I use 5w-40 full-synth Gulf Competition in my 147 1.6 TS. Grabbed mine from, great service from them also.

But yes, either that grade or as mentioned above. Just seems far more smoother on startup with the 5w-40 for me, that's all.
AO Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 sw / gtv

Agree 5w/40 fully synthetic Millers are reasonably priced and also in 5ltr cans.
AO Member
County: Auckland
Yes 10W40, stick with name brands, change regularly with a fresh oil filter everytime.

Synthetic oils are more stable and generally last longer as far as viscosity range doesn't deterioate as quickly (oil not thinning out as much when hot and/or thickening when cold), than semi-synthetics (good) and dino oil (not as good). So as a rule can be run longer between changes (Caveat: the manufacturer's change intervals should be seen as the maximum time/milage between changes).

Be aware that all motor oils contain an 'addtives package' of things like detergents, friction modifiers, dispersants, anti-foaming agents, etc, which improve the oils performace in stopping wear. These additives are used up during normal operation. The tiny particles created by combustion and normal wear and tear are suspended in the oil by these additves (oil turns black), with the larger bits trapped in the filter. With modern motoroils, especially the sythetics and semi-synthetics, the depletion of the addtives is the primary reason for oil changing, as these get used before any really detrimental degredation of the base oil occurs. Which is why it can be recycled.

New modern cars factory filled with synthetics can make use of the oils longevity -new MBs are oils changes every 20,000 mi (afer an initial one at 10K) from memory. Older, more worn engines will use the additves quicker and the longer life of synthetic base oils aren't too much of an advantage (unless you are red-lining your car regularly on daily basis, or placing it under some other unsual stress).

Personally I use a name brand (who makes the stuff MB USA has in their white bottles) semi-synthetic and change no later than 7,000 mi.

Darryl in New Zealand
AO Member
County: Greater London
I have Fuchs Titan Race Pro 5W40 in my 2.0 147, better if you do a lot of short journeys - something to do with esters or summat.

Got it from Opie Oils

Last edited by chillihound; 25-02-11 at 00:33.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , oil , tspark