156 v6 using water - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 22-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng
156 v6 using water

My 2004 156 V6 is using water at a rate of a liter per day, the strange thing is that there is no oil in the water and no water in the oil or bubbles in the reservoir indicating a blown head gasket. When the motor runs cool like on a freeway the water usage is minimal but as soon as the motor runs hot in stop start traffic then the water disappears and cant see any leaks anywhere. Is it maybe escaping as steam somewhere, i live in a dry, hot and high altitude enviroment. The mileage is 102000km at the moment.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

I recently had a water leak that didn't really do much until the engine got hot (which obviously pressurises the cooling system). Again no gunk in the oil and no bubbles in expansion tank. (3.2 V6 GT)

However if I left the expansion tank cap off overnight then I found a small puddle of water in the morning. I then did a diy pressure test on the cooling system and found the leak straight away. I had bought a new cap as originally I wasn't sure whether the pressure valve had failed and I was losing water as steam when hot. So for the diy pressure test I used the old cap, removed the rubber washer, cut out the valve with a dremel/rotary tool then got the valve from an old bike inner tube and cut the rubber to size, drilled a hole in the centre of the cap and super glued the valve in place. I then replaced the rubber seal and glued to the rubber of the inner tube for good measure. All you do then is screw the cap on as normal and use a bicycle pump to pressurise the system. Don't go mad with the pump though, you don't want to over pressurise the system and cause more problems, I think about 20 psi is correct but don't quote me on that. Maybe someone else can answer that for me, anyone??

Anyway, my leak was traced to failed/perished o rings on the metal bit that the radiator hoses and heater hoses connect to where it connects to the engine block. I presume the 3.0 V6 is similar to the 3.2!?

Hope some of this helps!

(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 23-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng
Hi Tony, Thanks for the advise, i'll do the pressure test and see what happens, i also own a 3.0 GTV and the water used to push out the over flow/presssure release pipe and by replacing the tank cap sorted the problem but you could see water comming out of the pipe when hot. The 156 there is now trace.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , water