****ing clutch - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
****ing clutch

My clutch problems from last summer have come back with a vengeance. I suspected the master cyl previously and was going to change it next weekend. However, it has suddenly started dumping the fluid and there's a drip from the bottom of the box so it's new clutch and bearing time.

I'm looking for a guide to removing the 'box on a 156. The search function hasn't really turned much up so is anyone aware of an on-line guide?
Sponsored Links

What's better, engine and box out of the top and split on the deck, or gearbox out of the bottom?
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
Hi slave is leaking. I would just take gearbox out from underneath

1. Do I need to drop the subframe?
2. Driveshafts - can I get away with unbolting the inner CVJs or do they need to come out. If they need to come out do I need to take the suspension apart on both sides?

Any other pointers?
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
me and a mate did the clutch on a 156 2.4 jtd
its a big job, the front exhaust as to come off.....which can be a pain if bolts are buggered,,,,turbo off if thats the case...........the front subframe needs dropping all the way down the tunnel to the rear, gearbox oil out.........drive shafts unbolted, most of suspension off or undone at passenger side

it was a bugger to actualy get the box out, it will go down but we had to use engine hoist with mate underneth to wiggle n guide it....quite a heavy lump

he said that it would have been easier to litft engine n box out and would do it that wy next time
took best part of 2 days to do the job

AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
You can DIY it on your own, Drivers side driveshaft will need to come out of the box, passengers side, i would unbolt and remove the flange from the box it will make a little more clearance taking the box out and in. Also with the flange free you can use it to rotate the diff to ease getting the box back onto the driverside drive shaft.

The rear engine mount will need to come off, so will the exhast pipe (if the exhaust pipe is corroded, split it at the precat) the centre exhaust pipe hangers are easier to unbolt rather than struggle to prise the rubber bands off. The gear linkages normally just pop off.

Disconnect the ARB drolinks you may need to get the passenges side drive shaft right out of the way. Drain the Box oil first it sinks and makes a right mess.

There is more to it but off the top of my head these seem to stick in my mind as things i found i need to do to make the job easier...

Also when you fit the new slave cylinder make sure you dont over tighten the 10mm bolts and that you use sealer on the back of the slave..
I have a uprated clutch kit here if you have not bought one to save money .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

clutch , ing