GT Red Dot Remap - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 15-02-11 Thread Starter
County: Greater London

Member car:

GT Red Dot Remap

Last week I ventured down to Red Dot's place in Enfield (Red Dot Racing) for a remap on my JTDm GT.

The guys were great - really open to questions and discussion, plus they have the advantage of a rolling road setup to make it a bit more scientific.

So the first run was interesting - I was grateful to see that over 70k the engine hadn't lost any horses, and had mysteriously gained some torques:

Post remap this has gone to:

This has made an enormous difference to the drive - it is a completely different car. The torque growth is just scary; in fact, with foot planted, the clutch can no longer handle it from 3rd gear up. Getting a kevlar competition clutch fitted this weekend hopefully, which will allow fuller evaluation - at the moment i'm only able to use a fraction of the output for fear of damaging the DMF.

The torque figure is actually kind of scaring me in terms of drivetrain impact - am I right to be concerned? Can that figure be right?
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Where are you getting the uprated clutch from? Sounds like a good result there anyway. What rpm is peak power coming in at?
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Difficult to know where (an how - heh!) to stop following a remap.

The difference the remap makes is staggering isn't it? Hard to believe it's the same car, first thoughts are why didn't it leave the factory like this. Answer's simple, because 150hp is what the car can handle.

I too had the clutch slipping problems following my Red Dot remap (199hp 343ft/lb) over 2 years ago, finally (yesterday in fact) had the CG Motorsports Fast Clutch installed along with a Q2 Diff. My Indie said it might have been worth doing the DMF at the same time. Yeah, that and the brakes, suspension and God knows what else.

Haven't had a chance yet to go for a run to see what difference the Q2 makes or whether the slipping has been cured, but I can say the clutch pedal is now much lighter.

I would like to do the KONI/Eibach suspension upgrade the forum raves about, however I'm not a one-man solution to the economic crisis so it'll have to wait a bit.

Alfa could, of course, have done all this for us, but how much more would the car have cost?

All the best

(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 23-02-11 Thread Starter
County: Greater London

Member car:

Peak power is hit at c.3500 (slightly sooner than pre-remap), peak torque at 2500 (same as pre-remap). Driveability still very good.

I also went for a CG Motorsports Fast Road clutch with a kevlartec contact material. It slipped badly to begin with but is now well on the way to being bedded in - can handle 80% of situations at least. The last hurdle to clear is hard acceleration 2-3000rpm at motorway speed - i'll give that a good test tomorrow. Oh, and it has made the clutch pedal a LOT lighter - doesn't feel like a GT any more!

Really interested in how you're finding the Q2 - I was soooo close to also fitting one at the same time. Didi you sourse your own components? How is it going? I'm now finding that wheelspin in tight low speed corners is very predictable given the amount of torque available....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

dot , red , remap