lumpy running 156...maf sensor? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 15-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2004 GTV 2.0 JTS

lumpy running 156...maf sensor?

Hi all,a few weeks ago my orange dashboard warning light came on but the car seemed to be running OK...until last week when it started running a bit rough and lumpy occasionally,can any one tell me what the problem is likely to be, i've been told it could be the MAF sensor,if so what will it cost to fix and is there any way i can check the connections before i take it into the garage,the car is a 2002 156 1.6 .

Thanks for any advice...phil.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
First thing to do is try the car with the MAF unplugged. It won't idle properly but the car should accelerate more smoothly and to the max revs. Just lift the plastic catch slightly and pull the wiring plug off. It's the connector to the right of the engine cover about half-way along the intake pipe. If it's reacts the same, it's not the MAF.

The best way is to have the diagnostic codes read .. that will pin-point the problem much quicker and cheaper than changing everything. When my MAF failed the engine management light didn't come on if that helps! As it's a 2002 it ought to be EOBD compatible so likely to be able to be read with most garage systems ... unless it's an early 2001 with a late registration of course!

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Member
I'd check all the air intake/turbo pipes first.

Mine ran 'lumpy' for a bit and found that i hadn't put the air intake pipe back on properly so was drawing more air than the MAF thought.

(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 24-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2004 GTV 2.0 JTS

Took the car in to my local garage,they checked it over and said that the fault was one of three 02 sensors,but they didnt know which one,and that the only way to fully sort the problem would be to replace all three...which works out at over 230!...anyway the dashboard warning light has gone out and the car runs fine 95% of the time so i might leave it and hope the light stays off!...thanks for the advice guys.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156maf , lumpy , running , sensor