2.4JTD cuts out and won't restart - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 11-02-11 Thread Starter
2.4JTD cuts out and won't restart

My 156 JTD 20v is suffering from an intermittant problem where the engine dies and it won't restart for some time (up to 30 minutes). The car has recently had a new battery and it turns over well. The problem seems to occur a few minutes after starting from cold. Most of the time it runs very well despite its 130k mileage.
I note from other threads that a faulty crank sensor is suspect but I cannot understand why the problem should occur when the engine is partly warm if this is the cause.
Can anyone enlighten me or offer other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
the answer you seak to the question you ask is simple: resistance

as the component begins to break down the resistance alters as the component warms up and so showing the error.

eventually it will get to the point where its that broken down it wont work at all.

the car will never start with a failed crank sensor it wont allow it to fire as it relys on the crank to know when to fire the motor and if it thinks its all out of phase it just stops dead.
AO Member
County: West Sussex
I have this same issue at the moment on my 2.4 jtd, i have removed my sensor and its reading 1000 ohms across 2 of the pins. It should be reading around 850 ish i believe. I tested it in water starting cold and getting hotter and it rises to around 1300 which i assume isnt good.

Any way im off to take one from a breaker in a bit (ill make sure the resistance is correct) I'll update you this afternoon.
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
its deffo crank sensor...........i have had one go.........why risk second hand one that could fail in a week? unless dealers cant get one for a while
think a new one was 30ish from dealers

as its correct as soon as water is up to temp car will stop and not start for at least 30 mins

AO Member
County: West Sussex
Yeh, i changed my mind after writing the post, i was in an impatient mood at the time! I'm going to order one today so should be here weds.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

24jtd , crank sensor , cuts , restart , starting or dieing or no