GT purchase - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 08-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

Brera 2.2

GT purchase

This has probably been asked before but my search techniques are shocking.

I'm hoping (work permitting) that i can view a GT Blackline this weekend, this is my 1st time buying privately and my first Alfa.I need some pointers on both fronts.

Firstly > What to check buying privately? I will be checking HPI before i set off and i know how to kick tyres but thats about it. The car is 240 plus miles away so there is no way i could take someone more mechanically minded.

Secondly > What failings to look for on the GT Blackline? 57 plate.

OR >> Should i hold out for a Brera? My choice of car but the OH says to get the GT for the rear seats.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

'05 350z

I bought a 2007 Blackline last week and picked it up on Saturday. It is sweet.

Things to look at:
Oil: Check the oil level with the dipstick. Take a few readings and ensure that it is within min and max. If not, it might be evidence that the car has been neglected.

Check the service history- look for oil changes and note where the car was serviced. If you don't know the garage do a bit of research on it. Cambelt should have been done at 36k miles or 3 years whichever came first on the TS petrol models. Not just the bear cambelt the but also tensioners / idlers also.

On the testdrive-
Check there is no erratic engine revs when the engine is idling. otherwise could be a failed MAF (airflow meter). With this you might notice some flat spots accelerating up through the revs.

check the thermostat. after 10 - 15 mins of driving it should be stuck on the 90 degree mark. If its dropping to 70 on the motorway runs could be a thermostat failure.

check for knocking noises from the suspension- rollbars / bushings / links, they might need replacing. Other tip is to check the tyres for uneven wear.

Hope this helps- there is lots of other info here Alfa Romeo GT Buyer's Guide

Goodluck with it!
AO Member
County: West Midlands
I was in a similar situation to you when I bought my GT Blackline last year. I'm not mechanically minded so what I would suggest is THOROUGHLY checking through the paperwork. How many owners? Where has it been serviced? Have all the service schedules been met? Are there receipts for any other work done to the car? If you get the reg or VIN and call Alfa they will tell you if any work has been carried out under warranty on the car.

If the car has been serviced at the same place since new then give them a bell, I did this and the dealer was surprisingly helpful, pretty much running through the car's service history with me, telling me that the previous owner was a nice respectable fella and had spared no expense on the car!

Checking through all this will give you a very good idea how well the car has been looked after if, like me, you don't know what to look for under the bonnet.
Graham P
Which engine are you looking at? As mentioned the cambelt should be done on both the 2.0 JTS and 1.8 Twinspark engines at 36k (3 years). The 1.9 JTDm is still 72k or 5 years but it would be recommended to go with 60k or 4 years

Other than that to be honest I have found all of my GT's pretty much problem free

I'm selling my GT Blackline sadly due to financial circumstances but will really miss it. It is the car that near enough does everything you want!!!

I too wanted a Brera but having a baby and a 12 year old son put a stop to that. The GT is amazingly practical. If you don't really need back seats then get a Brera but take into account the extra fuel across the range (2.2 JTS over a 2.0 JTS and 2.4 JTDm over 1.9 JTDm and a heavier car). The 1.9 JTDm gives me 40mpg and I rarely go near a motorway. Plus it is very quick!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT