Help with 147 sale.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
Help Help with 147 sale....

Reluctantly I am having to sell my 147, due to the fact that I have moved to the city and dont use it anymore as public transport is really good and no parking.

I have advertised it on Autotrader and have had interested in the car, they guy that has shown interest says that he cant get to me to view the car, but is happy from the photo's of the condition of the car. He wants to send the payment via PayPal and will send a private company to pick the car up.

What advice can people give me so I can check out this isnt a scam and that im not going to get done.

Any help and thoughts would be appreciated.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but couldnt think of any where else to put it that would get seen
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Falkirk

Member car:

2002 147 1.6

I've done alot of work in card fraud (prevention I should add) - paypal etc seem to be more into protecting payers than sellers so I'd be very cautious. This is from their site:

"You're protected wherever you shop with PayPal. Not just on eBay, but on any of the thousands of sites where PayPal is accepted, you can get full protection* for your purchases. So in the unlikely event that an item doesn't arrive or isn't what you expected, you can get your money back."

Potential scenario is that the guy claims he never got the car or that he got scammed or that it's not fit for purpose etc and you're left liable to paypal if they pay him back.

Personally, if I was buying a car, any car, I'd want to see it with the exception of buying from a reputable dealer and the cars ordered through them. Question why someone would buy a car like he wants to and I think it answers your questions.

I'd politely decline and would only take cash or an immediate bank transfer. You can't even trust a bankers draft anymore. Lots of people go to deposit the bankers draft they've been given to find out they're dud.
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

147 selespeed

lol im in the trade and every ad i put up is followed by emails like this usually exactly the same.

Only accept cash or bankers draft in person to be safe

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , sale