ABS and Handbrake issue. Any advice??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 19-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Warning ABS and Handbrake issue. Any advice???

I have checked other threads but they seem to differ in cause.

I recently bought an old black 156 1.8 T-spark (2000 model)..

Lovely car but the abs and handbrake lights are constantly on. When I bought the car it had not been driven for 2 months and had sat in the awful weather. As a result the battery was flat and the brakes had seized. Had to rock the car to get them to unlock...

I'm pretty sure this is the source of the abs and handbrake dashlight issues but now the brakes seem fine. Should the lights go out now or are the faults stored and need resetting.

I guess I'm just trying to work out if I still have a problem or not. The old owner tells me the lights were'nt on previously.

Any advice gratefully appreciated!
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
No Idea if the Alfa scan tool needs to reset stuff after a battery change, but if the pads were seized maybe some are worn to the backing plate which would perhaps complete the warning circuit?

Maybe the ABS reluctor rings/sensors/wiring could do with looking at too? Antway I'm sure an Alfisti expert will advise you more accurately than I can. Good luck.:
AO Gold Member
County: Norfolk

Member car:

It shows that you have an electronic brake distribution failure. This will render the ABS and EBD as useless, and they are therefore switched off.
Bear in mind that whilst those lights are on, your brakes will be imbalanced, with the bias to the rear - so be very careful.
If there is no 'real' fault, the lights should go out after 3 consecutive fault free journeys.
If they do not go out, I would have a look at the ABS sensors - or even better, download Fiat ECU Scan and get a KKL diagnostic cable from 'rarebear' on the forum.
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

If the EBD isn't working (Brake symbol illuminated together with ABS Fault) you really shouldn't be using the car until it's fixed. If you end up braking hard, for whatever reason, the car will try to swap ends quicker than you can react, could turn very nasty very quickly.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 20-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Hi all!

Thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated. I've booked the car in for Autolusso's sat morning surgery so hopefully they'll help.

Shall be careful driving though!

Thanks again

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

abs , advice , handbrake , issue