Inner cv boot refit - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 16-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon
Inner cv boot refit

just to say changing my inner cv boot tomorrow will let you know how I get on will try and do a write up for the week end.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Shropshire
Cool, cos I need to do one on mine
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
From memory:

Remove the 6 hex bolts (6mm) and nuts.

Remove the inner pressed cover which will expose the circlip.

Remove circlip and "gently" tap the bearing assembly off the splined end of the drive shaft.

Pull off the old boot and fit new. You will probably destroy the boot clamp ring doing this. Tighten the new boot clamp at the small end as tight as possible. PS Tie-wraps you get with some boots are a waste of time! I bought two new ones from my dealer.

Replace bearing and circlip. Replace cover after adding copious quantities of CV grease (sticky black stuff!). There might be a thin sealing ring around the outer edge of the bearing so take care not to rip these getting the cover back on.

Replace hex bolts and NEW nylok nuts WITH LOCTITE.

The inner boot only has one clamp ring as the small end unlike the outer boot that has two. The inner boot came as part of the new bearings I fitted and part of the metal cover that goes over the bearing.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 20-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon
Hi just to let you know how i got on.
First jack up and remove the wheel, and place axle stand in place.
My cv boot was on the drivers side inner.
Next I removed the small plastic cover in the wheel arch mine had two small self tappers in.

I looked at what gazza 82 had put which does sound quite easy thanks for the advice.

But my kit only came with the rubber boot, grease and the clips to refit so I decided to do it this way.

I removed the brake capiler two 7mm allen key bolts and moved it out the way (used a cable tie to hold it up on the springs) if it is hard to remove the caplier, use a screwdriver between the disc and caplier to retract the piston on the caplier.
Next I removed the top ball joint using a 17mm spanner and ball joint splitter.
Then I removed the ABS sensor wire off the hub assembly just on rubber mounts, only did this to make sure it was not damaged.
The hub assembly will now be loose and able to move on bottom ball joint.
At this point I removed the outer cv boot clips and slid the rubber back. You can now see the outer cv joint, by spinning the drive shaft and removing some of the grease you can find the circlip which hold the outer joint in place.
I used a small pair of long nosed pliers to open up the circlip, and by pulling the hub assembly towards yourself, if you hold it where the top cv joint would fit, the cv joint will slide off, you may need to push the drive shaft back towards the inner joint to give you enough room to remove it.

With the drive shaft out of the cv joint just slide off the outer boot, then remove the inner boot.
Replace the inner and crimp on the metal clips ( I used a small pair of nail pulling pliers as my crimp tool as these fitted under the metal lugs on the clips).
I then refitted the outer boot, using a new cv boot, as I thought while it was apart for the money it was worth doing, but you can just get two new clips and use the old one if you wanted.put the boot on then slide the drive shaft back into the cv joint it can be a bit difficult to line up, when lined up push hard on the hub assembly and the drive shaft will click into place.
With this done put the cv boot back on and do the clips up.
Refit the ball joint. The pin on the ball joint may spin when doing the nut up but if you pull down on the wish bone it will hold it, as the ball joint has a tapper.
Next refit caplier put the plastic cover on and wheel and your off.
I didnt remove the inner joint as I was doing the job on my drive, and had limited space under the car to access to the inner side of the cv joint.
Also when removing the pressed on cover, you can very easly damage it this can cause you more problems.
This is how I replaced my CV boot taken me about 2 hours with coffee break, hope this will help anybody who tries this, My car is the 2.4 jtd 10v wagen.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

boot , refit