Front Brakes griding noise. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 16-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bristol
Front Brakes griding noise.

hi all,

last service, 2k ago. they advised my front disks were rusty and asked if I suffered from gridding noise when breaking which I didn't at the time. I asked them not to, but now it really does make a noise when breaking, so I thought time to replace those disks.

anyone here done the job themselves, I used to do this kind of thing with all my older cars, but this is the newest car I've had, is it all normal down there? you know, nuts bolts, scraped knuckles that kind of thing?

I was thinking of tackling it in the next couple of weeks, disks and pads replacement. Disks I've priced at 70quid a pair, and pads 30quid a pair. so a massive saving compared to dealer.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

Pretty straight forward on the gt there's a good how to on here the biggest problem I had was getting one of the brake disc bolts out they are quite soft metal and rounded easily , some of the bolts were really tight also but all in all no different for any other car .
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Worn discs on their own will not usually cause a grinding noise. There is every chance now that the pads are worn down to the metal. You really should be looking at them straight away and not leaving them for a couple of weeks.
I don't know for sure but I think the GT and 147 jtd's share a lot of parts as until you get to the 3.2litre petrol engine. Front discs and pads are like any other car I've ever owned and can easily be done in about 1/2 hour a side. The back pads on a 147 need a rewind tool but other than that still a fairly easy job. As onedouble6 says you may be rubbing backing pad on the disc. On the 147 the low pad warning only works on one side and so seized pads on one side can mean buggered pads with no warning. Have a look tonight!!
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

Not an Alfa :-(

I have a grinding noise coming from the front of my 156 under braking, so I took the front wheels off to have a look and found that the inner pads were far more worn than the outer ones which look well worn but ok.
So I'm off to buy a set of pads tommorow, and have some fun next week end fitting them.
AO Silver Member
Might also want to look at the condition of the sliders as they could be seizing....
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 16-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bristol
cheers for the posts guys, and dont worry I dont use the car everyday. and wont be using it till I've checked out this grinding noise in a couple of weeks (as soon as I'm able).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brakes , front , griding , noise