Fuel smell - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 15-01-11 Thread Starter
County: Auckland

Member car:

156 selespeed

Fuel smell

Hi, I have jus bought a alfa 56 selespeed 2 litre JTS and am getting a strong smell of petrol inside the car. I have noticed that there is a strong smell of petrol vapour above the rear wheel air space cavity space and car on the fuel tank side (ie. between the wheel tire rime and the top metal body of the car on the fuel tank side). I opened the outer metal flip fuel cover enclosing the screwed plastic fuel cap suspecting the fuel cap to be leaking, but did not find any vapor there (ie. Between the outside of the fuel cap and the flip lid). The smell is infrequent and does not come all the time?? My mechanic put it on the hoist and found no leaks. He says if it was leaking it would have sprayed due to high pressure.. Need your advise
please. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
As well as the fuel lines, there is a line taking fuel vapour from the tank/filler to the charcoal canister in the right front wing.
Check those lines.

As for pressure, the lines from the tank to the engine are under normal fuel pressure.
The high pressure for the direct injection is from a pump on the engine near the thermostat.

Could also be worth taking the rear seat backrest out and checking under the access cover for the fuel pump.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

fuel , smell