"Priority" of repairs to 156 2.0 TS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 13-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

2001 156 2.0 TS

"Priority" of repairs to 156 2.0 TS

Wanted to get a complete belt change on my brand "new" bella sometime next week (since I didn't trust the service history and didn't want to take chances), but my exhaust started sounding like a badly souped up moped on Tuesday so after a brief "why does this always happen to me!?" moment and an online booking I drove the lady down to the Alfa Workshop today.

A couple of new belts and a welded up exhaust later, I left in a real hurry to get back to work, so I couldn't take the time to go through the list of "advisories" that they provided me with. Apparently, nothing is in immediate danger of failing catastrophically, but some work will have to be done within the next few months.

Since I just spent 700 on new belts (+all that should be done at the same time) and an exhaust fix, I'd like to spread the new repairs over three-ish months, so I'd be really grateful for some advice on the order in which I should tackle the following:
  • Offside top wishbone has play
  • Nearside drop link requires replacing
  • Both bottom balljoints have play
  • Nearside rear radius arm requires replacing
  • Rear main seal leak
  • Exhaust leak at manifold
  • Radiator starting to corrode

P.S. If you ever go to Royston, bring a book. I planned on strolling around all morning, but that town has got to be the most boring place I've ever set my foot in. On the plus side, I'm very very happy with the service at the Alfa Workshop, they're great guys (and girls) and, most importantly, were more than happy to comply with my request to only fix potentially dangerous stuff for now!
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

156 t/s

I would start with the stuff that she couldnt live without ie radiator and exhaust assuming the play on front end isnt to severe they arnt likely to fall off. then move to front by the sound off thing is top and bottom arms and drop links on both sides then final onto the rear.
AO Member
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Alfa 33

Depends on how corroded the radiator is. Also which seal do they mean by "rear main seal" (to me that would suggest crank seal near the clutch, but that doesn't really make sense on a transverse engined car).

I would do the top and bottom arms and the ball joints all at once. However again not sure how much wear is in any of these so how to prioritise them

All the best

AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
Things I would sort first is the blowing manifold. If it is left too long that can cause some nasty damage and it won’t seal up easily again, esp if its blowing at the block. Its not a big job to get sorted mind.
The drop links and wishbones is the sort of thing you would do all at once. Again they are not difficult, you can get decent enough quality parts off ebay to do the job yourself if you are competent enough. I think you can get all 4 (2 x upper 2 x lower) for around 120 if you shop around in the right places. You need to be doing all these arms at the same time and the drop links will typically be replaced at same time as well. Be sure to get the wheel alignment adjusted once done though, to save ruining any tyres.
Radius arms are another suspension part on the rear of the car, they are not too expensive although again you’re gonna want the alignment checked after its done. Its not major again though.
The radiator I wouldn’t worry about unit it either starts to leak or overheat. Provided your car is running at normal temp, i.e getting up to just short of 90 degrees then its fine. If its only getting to around 50-70 degrees its not getting warm enough and your thermostat is dead, in which case the thermostat and rad will need replacing.
Confused by what is meant about rear main seal, does he mean an engine part or does he mean around the car body / boot / doors?
If its an engine part then that needs to be priority 1 along with the fannymould.

Previous Alfas:
1999 156 1.8TS Sport Pack 3
2001 166 3.0 V6 24V Super
2003 156 GTA 3.2 V6 24V
2005 156 1.9 JTDM-Jet Sport
2008 159 1.9 JTDM Lusso

Current Alfas:
1997 GTV 2.0TS Lusso
2001 147 1.6TS Lusso
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 14-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

2001 156 2.0 TS

Thanks for all your replies! I have no idea what seal they mean, but if it were an engine part leaking oil, I'm sure they would have warned me - I guess it's a bit around the boot or doors, the seals there look a bit worse for wear anyway. If it's that, I don't care (yet), and I'll get that fixed much later.

The coolant temperature gauge is running wild anyway, I'm still not sure if it's just the sensor or if the thermostat is busted but sometimes the needle is almost at 3/4 after just a few minutes of driving in the morning, and sometimes it's at 1/4 after an hour long city+motorway journey. That can't be right.

I'm sort of mechanically competent, but don't want to screw it up, plus I have no tools and not even a driveway, much less a garage. So it'll have to go in (my wallet is crying in agony as I write this) - but I guess at least I should get a better deal than the price of getting each bit of the suspension fixed separately...
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
If the rad gets worse it could leave you stranded or cook the engine, obviously i haven't seen how bad it is though.

Do all the front suspension stuff at the same time - depending on how bad it is right now you might be getting funny tyre wear so if you leave it it might cost you tyres as well.

How can they tell you have a rear main seal leak without taking the gearbox off?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , priority , repairs