2.0 TS Rattle... but not sure it's the usual suspects - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 09-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

2001 156 2.0 TS

2.0 TS Rattle... but not sure it's the usual suspects

So... After picking up my new bella today, I noticed an "interesting" noise - so far, nothing too odd for an Alfa

I've searched the forums a bit, but I think (hope?) that her symptoms are ever so slightly different from the usual variator/big end problems that I suspected at first. If there is an obvious thread that I missed, sorry in advance!

What I get is a sort of rattling noise that doesn't sound diesel-y, but rather like a very light jackhammer. It doesn't occur at idle at all, and it also seems to subside when pushing her a bit harder (it's possible that it just becomes less noticable then, but I really do think it stops). It seems to come from the right side of the engine compartment (from the driver's seat perspective) and seems to be quite close to the cabin (but is definitely not in the cabin).

When I say "pushing her harder" - it seems to have nothing to do with rpm, speed, engine temp, current gear or zodiac sign - the deciding factor seems to be purely the pressure applied to the accelerator:

Idle/coasting - no noise.
Light(er) on accelerator (e.g. having coasted for a few seconds then wanting to slightly accelerate again) - noise.
From medium pressure all the way to flooring it - no noise.

The car drives really well, with no apparent lack of power even when these noises occur. The 72k service was done 28k miles and a little under 2 years ago. I want to get the usual suspects (cambelt, variator etc. etc. etc.) sorted anyway next month when the money is less tight because the garage that did the 72k service (and all others since 60k) seems to be some suspicious backyard chav shop...

But until then - does this sound like something that needs immediate attention? Or can it wait for a month? I'll try and make a recording tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

rattle , suspects , usual