Nokian z-lines, not
Join Date: May 2008
147 passenger footwell water leak - fixed
Thought I'd post some old pictures I took of a leak i managed to fix on my 53-reg 147 JTD.
In heavy rain, water would get into the footwell. Not always immediately obvious, as the foam backing on the carpet is so thick, but a few pushes on the carpet would usually squeeze some water through to the surface. Also for the same reasons it would take weeks to dry out..
To get at the affected area, remove the plastic trim covering the wiring harness that runs along the door sill. Then I think there's a few clips & fixings to remove deeper in the footwell to free up the carpet enough that you can peel it back, as per attached images.
Each photo zooms in more on where I'm fairly sure water was getting in. I had to scrape away some of the sound-deadening patch from this area, but this had already been softened by the water.
I spent a while trying to dry out the footwell/carpet, using towels, hair-dryer, etc. Then when the gap i identified (faintly circled in red) was as dry as possible, I applied some decent quality silicone sealant (no photo of this, sorry!)